Troubles flashing with max msp

Hey Guys,

I try to flash my daisy seed via max map.
As far as I can evaluate, I successfully managed to install all parts of the toolchain and the oopsy lib for max.

I have opened an example including the oopsy bpatcher and it is generating a “.cgg” a “.h” and a “.json” file. Unfortunately max doesn’t seem to try to flash it afterwards. I choose patch_sm in the drop down. The image shows what´s happening.
Does anybody have an idea what I am missing out here? Am I doing something wrong?
I am in bootloader mode and my cable is good!
I am on OS X 10.15.4.

Additionally, I try to upload the .cgg to the Daisy web programmer and it doesn’t flash it on the Seed, although I am in bootloader mode and it is recognised. Online examples work!
(.cgg only is probably not enough)
Thanks for help.

Checked for toolchain in Terminal:

Last login: Wed Dec 15 15:10:26 on ttys000
ME ~ % make --version
GNU Make 3.81
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-apple-darwin11.3.0
ME ~ % arm-none-eabi-gcc --version
arm-none-eabi-gcc (GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain 9-2020-q2-update) 9.3.1 20200408 (release)
Copyright (C) 2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

ME ~ % dfu-util --version
dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Hi @Jakob

Thanks for the thorough information.

If you uncheck the “QUIET” box in the bpatcher it should provide some additional information that could help us troubleshoot.

In addition here are a few things you can check:

• Did you run the install.sh script within oopsy after cloning or downloading the repo?
  • Does your oopsy/source/libDaisy/build/ folder contain a file called, libdaisy.a?
  • After attempting to use oopsy did your oopsy/source/build_* (where * is the name of your project and board) folder have a build/ folder containing a .bin file?

If the answer to the first two is no, then running the install.sh script in the root of the oopsy folder should do the trick. That will build the library, supplying the missing file, and should allow the example to properly compile.

Also, to clarify, the Daisy Patch SM is still prerelease hardware. Unless you have a prototype unit, you probably meant to use the “patch” instead of “patch_sm”. It does look like you have the proper selection in the screenshots you uploaded.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

hi @shensley

Thanks for the quick answer.

Yes, after copying oopsy-main to max8/Packages/ I ran the install.sh in this folder (again), that’s correct, right?
in terminal and looked like this.

ME oopsy-main % ./install.sh
/Users/ME/Downloads/oopsy-main
get submodules
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
rebuilding everything. . .
only errors, and warnings will output. . .

rebuilding libdaisy
make: *** No rule to make target `clean’. Stop.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
done building libdaisy

(“fatal:” somehow doesn’t sound good! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it didn’t create the libdaisy.a file in the oopsy/source/libDaisy/build/, it is empty.
And there is also no build/ folder with a .bin file, in my e.g. /build_gennoise_patch folder. It contains a .cpp and a makefile.

Thanks for the hint with the QUIET button. There is a view Errors that make me suspicious, although I couldn’t interpret them.
This is what my max console gives me now, when I try to flash:

gen~: exported: Macintosh HD:/Users/ME/Desktop/gennoise.json
gen~: exported: Macintosh HD:/Users/ME/Desktop/gennoise.cpp
oopsy-verbose: script start patch 48kHz block48 /Users/ME/Desktop/gennoise.cpp boost
oopsy-verbose: stop success dictionary u772001263
oopsy-verbose: start success dictionary u358001264
oopsy-verbose: using build tools found in /usr/local/bin
oopsy-verbose: oopsy can’t find the dfu-util binary in /usr/local/bin, will not be able to upload binary to the Daisy. Please check 1e. Getting Started With Oopsy (Gen~ Integration) · electro-smith/DaisyWiki Wiki · GitHub for installation instructions.
oopsy-verbose: Target patch configured in path /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy-main/source/daisy.patch.json
oopsy-verbose: Building to /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy-main/source/build_gennoise_patch
oopsy-verbose: Will upload from /Users/ME/Desktop/gennoise.cpp by writing to:
oopsy-verbose: /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy-main/source/build_gennoise_patch/gennoise_patch.cpp
oopsy-verbose: /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy-main/source/build_gennoise_patch/Makefile
oopsy-verbose: /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy-main/source/build_gennoise_patch/build/gennoise.bin
oopsy-verbose: oopsy generated code
oopsy-verbose: oopsy compiling…
oopsy-verbose: oopsy compiler error
oopsy-verbose: Error: Command failed: export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin && make clean && make
oopsy-verbose: Makefile:13: …/libdaisy/core/Makefile: No such file or directory
oopsy-verbose: make: *** No rule to make target ../libdaisy/core/Makefile'. Stop. oopsy-verbose: oopsy-verbose: at ChildProcess.exithandler (node:child_process:397:12) oopsy-verbose: at ChildProcess.emit (node:events:394:28) oopsy-verbose: at maybeClose (node:internal/child_process:1067:16) oopsy-verbose: at Socket.<anonymous> (node:internal/child_process:453:11) oopsy-verbose: at Socket.emit (node:events:394:28) oopsy-verbose: at Pipe.<anonymous> (node:net:672:12) { oopsy-verbose: killed: false, oopsy-verbose: code: 2, oopsy-verbose: signal: null, oopsy-verbose: cmd: 'export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin && make clean && make' oopsy-verbose: } oopsy-verbose: Makefile:13: ../libdaisy/core/Makefile: No such file or directory oopsy-verbose: make: *** No rule to make target …/libdaisy/core/Makefile’. Stop.
oopsy-verbose:
oopsy-verbose: compiler error
oopsy-verbose: compiling…
oopsy-verbose: generated code

Thanks for your help!

This is helpful feedback! Thanks!

It looks like your libDaisy folder isn’t fully populated. This seems like what would happen in the event that you downloaded the code from Github’s “Download ZIP” button.

Unfortunately that method doesn’t include any sub-git repositories that are used within the project.

However, there is an easy solution. You can either:

1. Download the zip from the most recent release instead (clicking on the oopsy.zip file to download. This is the github repo, and libDaisy repo with the install.sh command already run. You should be able to drop the inner oopsy/ folder once extracted, into your Max 8/Packages folder, and be good to go!
  2. Clone the project using git on the command line. To do this, run git clone https://github.com/electro-smith/oopsy from a terminal in your Max 8/Packages folder, and then navigate inside, and run the ./install.sh script to clone and build the submodule.

Let me know how it goes.

Hey shensley,

Absolutely thanks. Seems like rebuilding the repository help. I have the missing folder and .bin files now.
Unfortunately it doesn’t flash yet. I might have a problem with my dfu-util, i cannot solve
Luckily I have tried my Seed with another machine now and everything works perfektly. It’s great fun!
I think It is just my old computer missing files or being massed up too much. XD

If you have a quick idea not the Max window I am happy, if you could share, but I am fine to work with the other machine now and there is no urgent need to try to fix things.

Thanks a lot for you input. Helped me a lot to understand things!
Best
J.

There is 2 lines in my max console that make me suspicious.
The one with the dfu-util and dictwrap not understanding “filechanged”

gen~: exported: Macintosh HD:/Users/ME/Desktop/gennoise.json

gen~: exported: Macintosh HD:/Users/ME/Desktop/gennoise.cpp

oopsy-verbose: script start patch 96kHz block48 /Users/ME/Desktop/gennoise.cpp boost

oopsy-verbose: stop success dictionary u869001937

oopsy-verbose: start success dictionary u308001938

oopsy-verbose: using build tools found in /usr/local/bin

oopsy-verbose: oopsy can’t find the dfu-util binary in /usr/local/bin, will not be able to upload binary to the Daisy. Please check 1e. Getting Started With Oopsy (Gen~ Integration) · electro-smith/DaisyWiki Wiki · GitHub for installation instructions.

oopsy-verbose: Target patch configured in path /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy/source/daisy.patch.json

oopsy-verbose: Building to /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy/source/build_gennoise_patch

oopsy-verbose: Will upload from /Users/ME/Desktop/gennoise.cpp by writing to:

oopsy-verbose: /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy/source/build_gennoise_patch/gennoise_patch.cpp

oopsy-verbose: /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy/source/build_gennoise_patch/Makefile

oopsy-verbose: /Users/ME/Documents/Max 8/Packages/oopsy/source/build_gennoise_patch/build/gennoise.bin

oopsy-verbose: oopsy generated code

oopsy-verbose: oopsy compiling…

oopsy-verbose: compiling…

oopsy-verbose: generated code

dictwrap: doesn’t understand "filechanged"

oopsy-verbose: oopsy created binary 84KB

oopsy-verbose: created binary 84KB

Hi @Jakob apologies for the delay in repsonse on this, but it looks like your suspicion was correct.

The install.command provided in the DaisyToolchain should have installed that properly for you (or output a warning related to dfu-util. However, you can attempt to install it manually by running the following in a terminal:

brew install dfu-util

once it completes you should be able to run:

dfu-util --version

and see something similar to:

dfu-util 0.10

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2020 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

If you still get anything resembling dfu-util: command not found then you should also have an error in the output from the brew install, and sharing that can help us to further troubleshoot.

As for the dictwrap: doesn't understand "filechanged" I’m not sure exactly what that is, but it could be a consequence of the first error.