JSON use to map Hardware in MAX MSP

Hello gardeners.

To start, I want to emphasize that I have studied this thread extensively to try not to repost anything that has already been said. I have also followed this wiki to make sure I am doing things right.

I have a single Daisy Seed on a breadboard, plugged into my 2018 Macbook Pro and am trying to code it using Gen~ in MAX/MSP. I have run a ground wire from Analog Ground pin to the Digital Ground pin. I have a simple switch with Digital V Out going into the middle pin of the switch, and another pin going out from one side of the switch and into the Seed’s [ADC 3][A3/D18][25] pin with the intention of that pin reading an input of HIGH or LOW depending on the switch. I have no resistors on my breadboard.

In MAX I have the Oopsy object and a gen~ object. Into the gen~ I have MAX’s drumloop.wav playing constantly into IN 2 in the gen~ object. Inside gen~ I have [param sw1 @min 0 @max 1] going into the left input of a [gate] object. The right input of the [gate] object is being fed the drumloop.wav audio from outside the gen~ object. Then I have [gate] flowing into OUT 1.

My JSON file is:

{
“components”: {
“sw1”: {
“component”: “Switch”,
“pin”: 18
}
}
}

I use Oopsy to point at that JSON file, push RESET and BOOT on my Seed board and upload it successfully to the board.

Why then, do I not hear the drumloop.wav file when I flip the switch on the breadboard?

I have also never been able to get an analog knob reading to work in MAX either.

Ive been working on this since February. I feel like a frustrated idiot. Any help would be amazing. Thank you all.

Hey Daruma,

I’m really sorry to hear that it’s been frustrating. I’ll do my best to help out!

Here are some thoughts to get us started :slight_smile:

1. Were you able to get sound out of your Seed? A simple patcher that’s just a sine-tone at 440 hz.

2. I think you do need a pull-up resistor when using a switch.

3. Also, I think you should use the digital pins for the switch (look, I used to use ADC for buttons and switches too in the past, so I fully understand)

4. Are there any other lines in that JSON file?

5. Finally, let’s start simple! I suggest getting the analog knob reading to work. Let’s twist a knob and change a pitch of a sine-tone. And then let’s move on to switches and audio file playback.

2 Likes

8 Months later and I’ve decided to come back to this topic. I delayed responding mostly because you were putting out great videos on your Youtube channel as well as great stuff on Electrosmith’s channel and I was going to be patient for a video to cover this topic… but it looks like it isn’t going to be covered via YouTube anytime soon.

1. Never got any sound out!
  2. I will breadboard it again with a pullup resistor to verify. But I am unsure this will resolve the issue, since I couldn’t even get a switch to close a circuit for a pin to send data into Max MSP (just a 1 or 0 input)
  3. I will try that! :smiley:
  4. There are no other lines in the JSON file, do I need to add more/something else?
  5. I would love to get a knob to work. I will try the changes above and see if it gets a knob to work… what should I do if it doesn’t work?

Thanks for all your help and amazing tutorials online. I hope you are able to make more.

Welcome back Daruma!

I got busy with other stuff, but I hope to resume making Oopsy videos soon!
In the meantime, asking questions on here would be the best :slight_smile:

I think this would be the first task that should be resolved. Do you have audio jack connected to the Daisy?

Yes, I was wrong about that, I’m sorry. You should be able to hook up a switch/button like this without a need for a pull-up resistor: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/electro-smith/DaisyExamples/master/seed/Button/resources/Button_bb.png

By the way, I made this custom JSON guide few months ago that should be helpful!

You rock Takumisama. Ill review that JSON thread you made, and send some pictures of my audio jack wiring and get back to you soon!

I know troubleshooting for noobs isn’t as fun as complex projects, but I sincerely appreciate your time with this.

1 Like

Sounds good!

And I’m totally happy to help :slight_smile: