Getting Started with C++ Tips

Hi everyone. Just received my Daisy Patch and am very much enjoying it. I have been able to port .bin files using the online portal through Electrosmith. I have no coding experience, and I was trying to work with the DaisySP files so that I can port those to the Patch as well. I took the advice of this tutorial on creating a Desktop clone of the files; unfortunately, when I get to the build stage, I get errors and the rest of the process does not work. I am able to load files into Visual Studio on OSX and wondered if anyone out there had a tip on how to run these files and to communicate with the Patch over USB, not unlike the process with the Electrosmith (.bin) portal. Any assistance would be appreciated. Incidentally, here is a recent video showing some of the sonic work I do with Eurorack. Thanks for your advice!

Hi @rhetor,

Could you share the errors you’re getting during the build stage?

One thing that could be happening on some of the latest OS X versions is a security related issue mentioned in the OS X installation guide.

A work around for this (only necessary the first time) is:

sudo spctl --master-disable
./rebuild_all.sh
sudo spctl --master-enable

Thanks for helping. I tried the new script as you mentioned, but a similar thing happens as before:

make: arm-none-eabi-gcc: No such file or directory
make: *** [build/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Src/stm32h7xx_hal.o] Error 1
done.
building DaisySP . . .
rm -fR build
/bin/sh: arm-none-eabi-g++: command not found
make: *** [build/adenv.o] Error 127
done.
building examples:
building DaisySP/examples/adenv/
/bin/sh: arm-none-eabi-gcc: command not found
make: *** [build/system_stm32h7xx.o] Error 127

Oh, it looks like you’re missing the arm-none-eabi compiler.

Just to confirm did you run the

brew install make armmbed/formulae/arm-none-eabi-gcc dfu-util

command from the guide as well?

It looks like you have Make installed. So that’s 1/3.

If you run:

arm-none-eabi-gcc --version

on its own you should get something similar to this: (the version may be slightly different, and that’s okay).

arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe (GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain 9-2020-q2-update) 9.3.1 20200408 (release)
Copyright (C) 2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

If you get that output you should be able to run the script without issue.

Before you get to the last bit of the guide you might want to try just running dfu-util --version as well. To confirm that you also have installed that.

Hope that helps!

I didn’t. I will give that a try. So appreciate your assistance!

2 Likes