DFU in FS Mode option not appearing

The one that is labeled USER should be flashing periodically when you receive it. The other LED labeled PWR should be illuminated whenever the Daisy Seed is powered.

This is not true for the daisy pod. The default pod program has the two tricolor pod LEDs turning on, but never the USER LED.

For me, this made some of the daisy setup instructions very confusing. (“wait for USER to stop flashing? it never started and never has???”)

That was obviously describing LED marked “USER” on Daisy Seed - in the corner adjacent to USB port and BOOT button.

@sharps thanks for bringing this to our attention!

You are correct, the Seed user LED on the Pod doesn’t blink upon arrival - this was an oversight on our part.

We have just added this functionality to the Pod ship firmware, so in the future, all Pods will have the user LED on the Seed blinking upon arrival.

Hopefully this will make the Getting Started wiki page easier to navigate for Pod users.

1 Like

For anyone having this issue on Windows, I believe a recent OS update has rendered our instructions partially incorrect.

As far as I can tell this started when Windows updated, but I am unable to get the Daisy to show up in any WebUSB application while it is using the libusb driver.

Fortunately, swapping to WinUSB seems to work totally fine for both the Web Programmer and the dfu-util cli.

Hope that helps some people!

1 Like

I had the same issue. Turns out the Micro USB cable was power only.

Make sure to check your cables!

1 Like

EDIT: Never mind, bad cable. I switched to a different cable and it’s working fine now.

Hi, I’m having the same issue. Windows 10, Chrome version 86.

I have tried running Zadig, but the device doesn’t show up in the list. In fact, the device doesn’t show up in the Device Manager at all. I’m pretty sure that the USB cable I’m using can carry data, as it came with my Raspberry Pi. Is there a compatible driver for Windows that I can download?

Thanks very much for your help!

1 Like

Hello, I have a question. When flashing in Zadig I select “DFU in FS Mode”. Under Drive there is (NONE) with → WinUSB (v6.1 …). Is this DRIVER field supposed to be empty? I cannot edit it or anything. Unsure how to proceed.

That is correct.
All that matters is that you’re selecting WinUSB as the destination driver on the right hand side.
Make sure the you press the “replace driver” button.

And just to be clear, Zadig is not for flashing firmware, just for resetting your driver.
And it is only applicable if you are on Windows.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

Just recently got my first daisy and couldn’t get it to flash. Ordered a new USB cable that can transfer data (tried 3 other cables before) and it worked!
So make absolutely sure you got the right cable!

3 Likes

I’m chiming in to add myself to the list of “wrong cable” experiences. I have a plastic bin of all types of cables and found one that worked after trying a half dozen options. Time to start coding!

2 Likes

yes! instant fix - i was using a power-only cable and had not realised…

2 Likes

Hi andrew

Im having these same issues with DFU in FS mode not showing up. I know I have a good cable but and I using a updated version of chrome. I tried on my main computer MAC with sonoma but when I connect it will not recognize. I did have my chrome book shut down one time when I pressed the boot and reset button, but when it turned back on it still didnt work…you got any ideas

Im having the same problem

Im using a chrome book wiht an updated version and I cannot get it to show up…Ive used different microcables but still nothing

Hello Jerret,

Could you confirm with us that you’re putting the Daisy into bootloader mode?
So press and hold down the BOOT button, and then press and hold down on the RESET button. Once you release the RESET button, you can let go of the BOOT button. You’ll know you performed the button combo correctly if the USER LED on your Daisy stops flashing.
You would need to do that in order for DFU in FS Mode option to appear on the Daisy Web Programmer.

There’s also still a slight chance that your cable may not be the ones that send data.

IS THE USER LED ON THE FRONT?
if so yes the light turn off when I press boot then tap reset.

So I bought a cable and I was able to get the dfu in fs mode.

I was able to upload the zip from surface and it said it was manifesting and then it said complete. I clicked reset and its not coming out of boot mode

Glad to hear that!!

After you flash a firmware, you don’t really need to press the reset button on the Daisy. What firmware did you flash?

thank for reaching out

Could you try the blinking example?
So please open up the Daisy Web Programmer, connect the Daisy, put into bootloader mode by pressing the buttons, and click the “Flash Blink!” button.
Thanks!