Adding Hardware Potentiometers to a Pure Data / Daisy Seed synth project

Hi. I’m new here so please be gentle.

I am working on a synth project using Pure Data that I want to turn into a hardware synth using Daisy Seed.

Can somebody point me in the direction or explain in beginners terms what I need to do in Pure Data to receive input from a potentiometer and use that to control function in my synth.

I understand that I need to use a JSON file to config the connection and then use @hv_param in Pure Data but can’t find anything else online on how to parse the incoming input of the potentiometer.

Any help and ideally pd files that show the structure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi GrayGray! Welcome to the community :slight_smile:

This guide should answer your questions: Quick Guide on Setting Up a Custom JSON File for pd2dsy & Oopsy!

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you.

I am getting somewhere now.

Can provide me with a pd example of how I would convey the potentiometer input to something like a volume control?

Thanks again

It outputs a float value between 0.0 to 1.0, so you can directly connect it to an object like [*~] as shown in the following screenshot.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 2.52.30 PM

Thanks

I did a little research and a pot has values of 0-1023, so I just did a little maths and it seems to work.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 19.56.11

For Arduino IDE, yes, it’s 0 to 1023. But for pd2dsy, it’s 0.0 to 1.0.

ok, I understand.

So for other parameters to have a larger range such as ASDR values, do I just do some maths to create the correct range.

eg: divide by 300 for a range of 0 - 300

For amplitude, the 0.0 to 1.0 range will work fine for most cases.

For parameters such as frequency, you would need to do some math. Please have a look at that guide that I linked earlier with that in mind :slight_smile: