Using CV inputs as gate or trigger

i was wondering if anyone could help me out on using one of the CV inputs on Patch_SM as a gate or trigger input?

I was reading the datasheet for it and it says
“* When using CV pins for gate signals, the signal
will be read in as an analog value”

Hi tenshun!

Maybe something like this could work. I haven’t flashed it, but I hope this gives you an idea as to what you need to do!
The [r Ctrl5 @hv_param] will output a signal between 0.0 to 1.0. If you connect a gate CV into CV input 5, that object should either output 0.0 or 1.0.

Honestly, you can probably connect [r Ctrl5 @hv_param] to [s cvout1 @hv_param] directly and see what happens! It should blink according to the gate CV.

Give this all a try and adjust accordingly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Using a toggle on metro will not work. Just connect the loadbang directly to the metro!

My bad, it actually will /o\

2 Likes

Thank you guys for the help!
i will give it a try tonight and let you know how it works

Hello, So im having no luck getting the example to trigger a hihat sound in my patch.

I compile it and then flash it onto Patch_sm. When i send a trigger into Ctrl8
its not doing anything.

Heres a screenshot of the patch.

Actually I suspect that using a snapshot~ on that control message is not going to do anything.
This object requires a signal input (notice the color of the inlet), it might work if you add a sig~ object in the path.

However this whole setup feels a bit like a “hack”. There must be a better way to interpret the Ctrl8 as a gate …

By the way: adding a number box in a signal chain in Heavy does nothing but add another [f ] box. So unless you want to store a value and bang it later it is not functional.

What if you remove the whole snapshot~ part? Only leave the [ > 0.5] and what comes after.

I think the main issue of recognizing proper “gates” is “rising edge” detection and the total gate duration.
For the normal “gatein” device configuration this is already handled by libDaisy by using the gatein_trig option for instance.

1 Like

That did it! i removed the snapshot part and just left everything else. i was able to trigger the sound.

2 Likes

You don’t need the metro for this. It was just there to trigger the snapshot~ to … take snapshots :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that it’s working!
And that was my bad about [snapshot~], I wrongly thought that [r Ctrl5 …] was outputting a signal, I’m sorry about that. It does output values constantly, so that’s worth keeping in mind.

Thanks @dreamer for the correction!