Something I am working on

The next generation of my PCB designs turned out surprisingly well. Unlike the POD Expander, this is a stand-alone design. This is the first time I am using 4 layers. The next iteration will have an encoder. I am still debating if I should add LEDs.

8 Likes

Very well indeed! What are the 4 knobs if not encoders?

What is the debate about LEDs and do you have some overall goals? I think 16 or more Lightable RGB buttons are very nice to have for sequencing. As on the Akai APC Key25 mk2.

1 Like

The 4 knobs are just 10k pots. I’d like to have a 32-steps endless encoder, like the Pod. It works very well for menu changes.

I like the idea of having RGB buttons, but multiplexers give me some hard time. It took me 5 tries to get 4021/4051 to behave.

Not sure about any goals as of yet, this is just a proof of concept that can be adjusted according to my needs (sequencer, synth, etc.)

You’re on fire with new projects/iterations!! Always awesome to see these posts from you.

1 Like

I wish I knew how addictive PCB design can be before I started :sweat_smile: This is bad as painting Warhammer miniatures :grinning:

1 Like

Looking really good!

1 Like

Just put together another board, which is more compact and refined. This time, the seed is on the other side, which allowed me more space for the controls. Also, there is now an encoder. The only issue is Line In and Out labels are reversed.

3 Likes

Beautiful! and Post must be at least 20 characters long…

1 Like

Final non-smd version of the Pod Flip design:

6 Likes

Very cool! Would you mind giving some dtails on how you are handling ground planes?
I’m designing something similar but my current prototype is a little noisy.
I know that a ground plane would help, but i’m confused because i also know that the daisy seed has digital ground and alanoge ground.
Any info you can give would be very helpful, thanks!

Both analog and digital grounds are connected together. There is only one ground plane, as this is a two-layer PCB. Regarding the noise problem, I am trying to keep the line in/out traces as short and as wide as possible.