So, how are you setting up your folders/Git?

OK, so a bit of a newb question here. I’m a data scientist/Python programmer in real life, and I am used to using Git to manage my own code. However, I’m not a Git expert and what I want to do is kind of backwards from how I usually work.

I’m on a Mac, using VSCode. I cloned the DaisyExamples repository fine and can build, modify and run the examples fine. So far so good!

Now I want to set up my own project space separate to that - however I want to be able to update the libDaisy and DaisySP as they are updated. I also want to keep my code under Git control (but not necessarily push anything back, you really don’t want my s*** code).

Should I just clone libDaisy and DaisySP and keep them separate to my project? How are you organizing your project folders and using Git?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just like things to be clean. Any advice hambly accepted.

Thanks! Chris.
1 Like

The way I’ve been setting up my external projects is to create a new repo for that project specifically, and include submodules for libdaisy and daisysp.

This makes it very easy to keep the libraries at a specific commit, or on a different working branch/fork. With the libraries still being young and changing a bit, this is nice since I can choose when to refactor the project’s internal code for any changes in the libraries.

For the project itself it uses a Makefile similar to the DaisyExamples repo examples that points to each directory and includes the core/Makefile in libdaisy.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think the fresh repo + submodules is the route I will try first.

Hi, not sure if this is relevant here but it’s as close to the topic as I could find:
I am not using Git but working with a local clone of DaisyExamples.
My folder structure is like /dev/DaisyExamples/{lib and daisySP folders}.
Then my own projects are at /dev/own/{project folders}.
The project folders come from the template script. I can build them fine by either changing their makefile (LIBDAISY_DIR and DAISYSP_DIR) or by keeping the makefiles as they are and putting symlinks to both folders at /dev/own.
However, when I try to debug by starting Cortex Debug in VSCode using the green arrow symbol, this only seems to work with the symlinks. What other way is there, how have you set it up differently?

Thank you!