Sndkit: a sonic toolkit for everyone

Over the last few weeks, I’ve been working on a new project called sndkit. It’s still very much a work in progress, but enough has been done that I thought I’d share.

sndkit is a growing collection of self-contained ANSI C audio DSP algorithms, written in a literate style, presented in a wiki-like format.

A list of the current algorithms made so far can be found here.

The wiki is generated using my own static wiki engine called weewiki. The literate programs are written in a subset of org markup with noweb syntax, and tangled to code using worgle, a portable emacs-free org tangler.

The git repo is currently being hosted on sourcehut.

Feedback is welcome.

10 Likes

Nice! Did you try out your FDN BigVerb reverb on Daisy platform?

The docs are very nice, especially BigVerb! Only found org files, no c files in the repo, A bit unusual.

I’ve been using Stk for many low-level sound dsp reference, nice and simple.

Nice! Did you try out your FDN BigVerb reverb on Daisy platform?

I haven’t yet, but it’s very similar to the reverb algo in daisysp.

Only found org files, no c files in the repo, highly unusual and a bit alienating.

Yes, highly unusual indeed! The C are designed to be tangled from the org using Worgle: Worgle. The program is written in very portable ANSI C, and should compile on any POSIX environment. Once that’s installed, you can run “make tangle” to tangle all the C files.

Soundpipe also has a few pre-tangled sndkit files that it uses. You can find those here: ~pbatch/soundpipe (master): tangled/ - sourcehut git