Rotary Encoder missing steps

Hi,

I’m using a Daisy Seed for an effects unit which is mainly controlled via one rotary encoder. The issue is that I am getting randomly missed turns of the encoder. The encoder is wired up to pins D1,D2 and D3. I have created my own board definition to suit my project. I have tested the setup by using the PETAL definition and changing the encoder to the pins for this device with no change.

Have other people had issues with custom boards ? Has anyone tried filtering as suggested by Bourns the manufacturer of encoders ?

Any leads greatly appreciated.

Steve.

An update.

I’ve used the smoothing / debouncing schematic suggested by Bourns and I appear to have solved my issue. The schematic can be seen here - https://www.bourns.com/docs/product-datasheets/pec11r.pdf. I did find that using 100nF (0.1uF) capacitors got 100% results whereas the 10nF caps still produced errors.

Steve.

It sounds like you’ve got a working solution, Steve, but I thought I’d mention that the code described here: https://www.best-microcontroller-projects.com/rotary-encoder.html is working well for me, without a need for caps.

Thanks for the info Elby. Yes the capacitors did the job though I did go through three versions of the encoder boards. I soon realized the push switch needed some help as well.

Steve.