Rotary Encoder missing steps

Hi,

I’m using a Daisy Seed for an effects unit which is mainly controlled via one rotary encoder. The issue is that I am getting randomly missed turns of the encoder. The encoder is wired up to pins D1,D2 and D3. I have created my own board definition to suit my project. I have tested the setup by using the PETAL definition and changing the encoder to the pins for this device with no change.

Have other people had issues with custom boards ? Has anyone tried filtering as suggested by Bourns the manufacturer of encoders ?

Any leads greatly appreciated.

Steve.

An update.

I’ve used the smoothing / debouncing schematic suggested by Bourns and I appear to have solved my issue. The schematic can be seen here - https://www.bourns.com/docs/product-datasheets/pec11r.pdf. I did find that using 100nF (0.1uF) capacitors got 100% results whereas the 10nF caps still produced errors.

Steve.

It sounds like you’ve got a working solution, Steve, but I thought I’d mention that the code described here: https://www.best-microcontroller-projects.com/rotary-encoder.html is working well for me, without a need for caps.

1 Like

Thanks for the info Elby. Yes the capacitors did the job though I did go through three versions of the encoder boards. I soon realized the push switch needed some help as well.

Steve.

@amongstmyselves,

When you added the CAPS and such, did you do so based on the info in the PDF, or did you have to make some adjustments beyond what was suggested in the PDF?

Thanks,
Brett

Howdy BHAudio,

My version is similar to the PDF but I didn’t use the +5v pull up resistors. I also did the same capacitor and resistor combination for the press button of the encoder.

Steve.

@amongstmyselves,

Did the addition on the click button help solve your issue?

Thanks,
Brett

@BHAudio,

Yes.

What is your current issue ?

@amongstmyselves,

My current issue is that I need to get my GPIO interface up and running. :smiley:

I did a test with my setup connected directly to the Daisy I/O pins and I didn’t seem to be missing any of the clicks. But, I will look at adding that to my next board rev if I have issue once I get the GPIO device up and running.

Overall, I was looking to check in to see if it was all working well for you. :slight_smile: Glad it is all up and running for you.

Brett