Pure Data

I have also another issue. I tried using the “pod_test” example of the pd2dsy repo, but when I use “make” an error comes up.
make: *** [build/pod_test.o] Error 1

@alpignolo

Right now, the pd file has to be in the same directory as the script (this will be fixed soon).

One thing that can cause errors after a fresh clone of the repo is to not initialize the submodules (libdaisy and hvcc). You can check if the folders are empty or not to confirm this is part of your issue.

To fix that you can run:
git submodule update --init from inside the pd2dsy folder.

Then to run the command, you can paste your .pd patch into the pd2dsy folder, and then you should be able to run:

python pd2dsy.py --board pod  mypatch.pd

Where mypatch is the name of your pd file. This should create a folder called, mypatch/, however if you get an error you can manually create a mypatch folder and running the command again, or try running the command again with sudo (we’re working on a non-sudo solution to this as well).

For building without having to change the Makefile, you can move the folder into examples, and then it should work there. Otherwise you will have to change the LIBDAISY_DIR to where you have libdaisy.

Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

Many thanks for the reply.
Following your advice I managed to convert my .pd patch with pd2dsy.
However I always have the same problem when I use “make”.
I also tried using the “pod_test” example, but when I use “make” this error comes up:
make: *** [build/pod_test.elf] Error 1

@alpignolo - When you run
python pd2dsy.py --board pod mypatch.pd

Are you just getting 3 files (mypatch.cpp, MakeFile, and daisy_boards.h file) or are you getting the “c”, “hv”, and “ir” folders as well?

If you’re not getting the “c”, “hv”, and “ir” folders in your output directory, try running the command:
sudo python pd2dsy.py --board pod mypatch.pd

You’ll have to enter your account password - but it should output ALL the required files.

Make sure you include the “c”, “hv”, and “ir” folders in the directory you’re going to compile from as well - as the *.cpp file references the files in the “c” folder.

In my experience so far - it throws a TON of warnings - but everything compiles and the patches sound the same as they do on my PC.

One additional note - There is definitely an upper limit to the delay length. I’ve found that using [delwrite~] I can’t allocate more than 2000ms of delay time. Miller Puckette’s Pitchshifter patch, for examples, includes a 5000ms delay time - this won’t run unless you pull the delay time down to ~2000ms.

Thanks Kreiff,
I also have the 3 folders “c”, “hv”, and “ir”

I tried to convert a passthrough pd patch (adc>dac) with “python pd2dsy.py --board .pd” and I had succesfull created the folder with “c”, “hv”, and “ir” folders etc…
but when I try to generate the .bin file with “make” command , the script always ends with the same error:
make: *** [build/patch.elf] Error 1
Would you have any advice for me?

Hey alpignolo - Can you post all the text after your “make” command? There will be a lot of extraneous warnings, but there should be more details about which specific missing file, header, etc. is preventing the compiler from just moving forward despite the warnings.

This is the text:
C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\pd2dsy\examples\prova_pd2>make
mkdir build
arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/HvLightPipe.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/HvLightPipe.lst c/HvLightPipe.c -o build/HvLightPipe.o
In file included from c/HvLightPipe.h:20,
from c/HvLightPipe.c:17:
c/HvUtils.h:33:4: warning: #warning Could not detect platform. Assuming Unix-like. [-Wcpp]
33 | #warning Could not detect platform. Assuming Unix-like.
| ^~~~~~~
arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/HvMessage.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/HvMessage.lst c/HvMessage.c -o build/HvMessage.o
In file included from c/HvMessage.h:20,
from c/HvMessage.c:17:
c/HvUtils.h:33:4: warning: #warning Could not detect platform. Assuming Unix-like. [-Wcpp]
| ^~~~~~~
c/HvMessage.c: In function ‘msg_toString’:
c/HvMessage.c:172:55: warning: format ‘%X’ expects argument of type ‘unsigned int’, but argument 4 has type ‘uint32_t’ {aka ‘long unsigned int’} [-Wformat=]
172 | case HV_MSG_HASH: len[i] = hv_snprintf(NULL, 0, “0x%X”, msg_getHash(m, i)) + 1; break;
| ^~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| |
| uint32_t {aka long unsigned int}
c/HvUtils.h:131:50: note: in definition of macro ‘hv_snprintf’
131 | #define hv_snprintf(a, b, c, …) snprintf(a, b, c, VA_ARGS)
| ^
c/HvMessage.c:172:59: note: format string is defined here
172 | case HV_MSG_HASH: len[i] = hv_snprintf(NULL, 0, “0x%X”, msg_getHash(m, i)) + 1; break;
| ~^
| |
| unsigned int
| %lX
c/HvMessage.c:191:62: warning: format ‘%X’ expects argument of type ‘unsigned int’, but argument 4 has type ‘uint32_t’ {aka ‘long unsigned int’} [-Wformat=]
191 | case HV_MSG_HASH: hv_snprintf(finalString+pos, len[i], “0x%X”, msg_getHash(m, i)); break;
| ^~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| |
| uint32_t {aka long unsigned int}
c/HvUtils.h:131:50: note: in definition of macro ‘hv_snprintf’
131 | #define hv_snprintf(a, b, c, …) snprintf(a, b, c, VA_ARGS)
| ^
c/HvMessage.c:191:66: note: format string is defined here
191 | case HV_MSG_HASH: hv_snprintf(finalString+pos, len[i], “0x%X”, msg_getHash(m, i)); break;
| ~^
| |
| unsigned int
| %lX
arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/HvMessagePool.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/HvMessagePool.lst c/HvMessagePool.c -o build/HvMessagePool.o
In file included from c/HvMessagePool.h:20,
from c/HvMessagePool.c:17:
| ^~~~~~~
arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/HvMessageQueue.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/HvMessageQueue.lst c/HvMessageQueue.c -o build/HvMessageQueue.o
from c/HvMessageQueue.h:20,
from c/HvMessageQueue.c:17:
| ^~~~~~~
arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/HvTable.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/HvTable.lst c/HvTable.c -o build/HvTable.o
In file included from c/HvHeavy.h:20,
from c/HvTable.h:20,
from c/HvTable.c:17:
| ^~~~~~~
arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/HvUtils.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/HvUtils.lst c/HvUtils.c -o build/HvUtils.o
In file included from c/HvUtils.c:17:
| ^~~~~~~
arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/system_stm32h7xx.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/system_stm32h7xx.lst …/…/libdaisy/core/system_stm32h7xx.c -o build/system_stm32h7xx.o
arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/startup_stm32h750xx.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/startup_stm32h750xx.lst …/…/libdaisy/core/startup_stm32h750xx.c -o build/startup_stm32h750xx.o
arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/Heavy_prova_pd2.d" -fno-exceptions -fasm -finline -finline-functions-called-once -fshort-enums -fno-move-loop-invariants -fno-unwind-tables -std=gnu++14 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/Heavy_prova_pd2.lst c/Heavy_prova_pd2.cpp -o build/Heavy_prova_pd2.o
In file included from c/HeavyContextInterface.hpp:20,
from c/HeavyContext.hpp:20,
from c/Heavy_prova_pd2.hpp:37,
from c/Heavy_prova_pd2.cpp:33:
| ^~~~~~~
arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/HeavyContext.d" -fno-exceptions -fasm -finline -finline-functions-called-once -fshort-enums -fno-move-loop-invariants -fno-unwind-tables -std=gnu++14 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/HeavyContext.lst c/HeavyContext.cpp -o build/HeavyContext.o
from c/HeavyContext.cpp:17:
| ^~~~~~~
arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/HvHeavy.d" -fno-exceptions -fasm -finline -finline-functions-called-once -fshort-enums -fno-move-loop-invariants -fno-unwind-tables -std=gnu++14 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/HvHeavy.lst c/HvHeavy.cpp -o build/HvHeavy.o
from c/HvHeavy.cpp:17:
| ^~~~~~~
c/HvHeavy.cpp:24: warning: ignoring #pragma mark [-Wunknown-pragmas]
24 | #pragma mark - Heavy Table
|
c/HvHeavy.cpp:45: warning: ignoring #pragma mark [-Wunknown-pragmas]
45 | #pragma mark - Heavy Message
|
c/HvHeavy.cpp:127: warning: ignoring #pragma mark [-Wunknown-pragmas]
127 | #pragma mark - Heavy Common
|
c/HvHeavy.cpp:294: warning: ignoring #pragma mark [-Wunknown-pragmas]
294 | #pragma mark - Heavy Common
|
arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DHSE_VALUE=16000000 -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/prova_pd2.d" -fno-exceptions -fasm -finline -finline-functions-called-once -fshort-enums -fno-move-loop-invariants -fno-unwind-tables -std=gnu++14 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/prova_pd2.lst prova_pd2.cpp -o build/prova_pd2.o
from prova_pd2.cpp:5:
| ^~~~~~~
arm-none-eabi-g++ build/HvLightPipe.o build/HvMessage.o build/HvMessagePool.o build/HvMessageQueue.o build/HvTable.o build/HvUtils.o build/system_stm32h7xx.o build/startup_stm32h750xx.o build/Heavy_prova_pd2.o build/HeavyContext.o build/HvHeavy.o build/prova_pd2.o -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard --specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs -T…/…/libdaisy/core/STM32H750IB_flash.lds -L…/…/libdaisy/build -ldaisy -lc -lm -lnosys -Wl,-Map=build/prova_pd2.map,–cref -Wl,–gc-sections -o build/prova_pd2.elf
c:/program files (x86)/gnu arm embedded toolchain/9 2020-q2-update/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/9.3.1/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -ldaisy
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [build/prova_pd2.elf] Error 1

That says that the linker (ld.exe) can’t find libdaisy.a in …/…/libdaisy/build

Which can mean several things, since it uses a relative path.

The most likely reason for the linker error there would be that the library was not built. You can do this by running make in the libdaisy directory.

That should then allow the project to build.

ok, the problem was that the library was not built. But now another error comes out:

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\pd2dsy\examples\prova_pd2>make
arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -Ic/ -I…/…/libdaisy/core/ -I…/…/libdaisy -I…/…/libdaisy/src/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I…/…/libdaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I -O2 -Wall -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/prova_pd2.d" -fno-exceptions -fasm -finline -finline-functions-called-once -fshort-enums -fno-move-loop-invariants -fno-unwind-tables -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/prova_pd2.lst prova_pd2.cpp -o build/prova_pd2.o
from prova_pd2.cpp:5:
| ^~~~~~~
prova_pd2.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
prova_pd2.cpp:33:26: error: invalid conversion from ‘void ()(float**, float**, size_t)’ {aka 'void ()(float**, float**, unsigned int)’} to ‘dsy_audio_callback’ {aka ‘void ()(float, float*, unsigned int)’} [-fpermissive]
33 | hardware->StartAudio(audiocallback);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
| |
| void ()(float**, float**, size_t) {aka void ()(float**, float**, unsigned int)}
In file included from daisy_boards.h:8,
from prova_pd2.cpp:3:
…/…/libdaisy/src/daisy_pod.h:55:40: note: initializing argument 1 of ‘void daisy::DaisyPod::StartAudio(dsy_audio_callback)’
55 | void StartAudio(dsy_audio_callback cb);
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~
make: *** [build/prova_pd2.o] Error 1

What approach should I follow in your opinion to create a multi-effect with the various effects created by the pure data patches?
Should I generate a .cpp file for each effect?

I think the idea with the script is that you should not have to do anything in code, everything should be able to be done in PD.

I still have not tried the script yet, so not sure how far the progress is atm.

But my plan is to only work with PD and Daisy, as I am not the best coder in the world, but I feel pretty confident using PD.

I think I might have to give the script a go this weekend and see if I can get something working :slight_smile:

yes, that’s right, it’s probably the best solution. Thanks

1 Like

does anyone know what are the control names for the “seed” board in pure data?

For the Pod board the names are “Knob1” and “Knob2”.
For the Patch board the names are “Ctrl1”, “Ctrl2”, “Ctrl3” and “Ctrl4”.
And for the “seed”???

There are no control names for Seed. It has no controls.

See : pd2dsy/util/daisy_boards.h

If you build a device using Seed, and you add controls, the Patch and Pod implementation should provide the info you need to define your own control names.

Argh, didn’t know that. Was going to try it tomorrow for my Seeds, but not sure how to make it work, if there is no controls. Gotta do some research, I guess.

Since the Seed has no pots, encoders or switches, the specific definition of the ‘controls’ for Pd depends on what you build.

1 Like

I made a patch for the pod and the potentiometers are working fine. Instead I tried to recreate a pod by inserting seeds into a breadboard and using the same patch the potentiometers don’t work.
why do you think?

Ah yeah I see.

So I need to look into how the Pod is configured, which inputs it uses for the parameters. And then maybe I can edit some code for the pod, to use the inputs that I have used on my Seeds, instead of the ones in the Pod example. Guess I just have to look around a bit.