Please Provide Schematic for Daisy Seed Rev 7!

Thanks, that’s good to know!

How will you deal with the different hardware revisions? As some people may want to have a reference to a specific version of the board that is maybe not explicitly in the store right now.

There is a new page in the datasheet which addresses the different audio codecs and associated versions of the Daisy Seed.

This should answer most things, and if there are specific questions not covered, we’ll be happy to add them.

1 Like

Hi,
yes first questions:

1. R7 0R DNI. This means Device Not Inserted???
  2. As far as I understand the new “schematic”, the LP2985 is no more used to produce +3V3_A but for a internal voltage 4V5? So +3V3_A is now only filtered by R6,C1 from digital 3V3?
  3. I think it would be a good idea, to provide information about the possible external load on +3V3_A and +3V3_D.
  1. Yes it stands for “Do Not Install”.

2. Yes, that is correct.

3. I agree! We’ll add that to the datasheet.

A post was split to a new topic: Rev 7 Seed Is Detected As Rev 4

It feels a little weird and uncomfy redacting the schematic, especially with the previous hardware information publicly available. I understand not making final production files e.g. layout, gerbers, production BOM public to prevent a turn-key clone, but pulling the schematics when they have previously been available feels pretty unwelcoming as someone who just purchased a Daisy Seed for the first time when that information was available a week ago and now it isn’t. I would think someone capable of designing a multi-layer layout with multiple BGA parts is capable of reading datasheets, hooking up memory communication lines and placing decoupling capacitors with or without the schematic.

I am to understand then that the LP2985 is providing a 4.5V for the VCC of the PCM3060 since it expects an analog VCC 4.5-5.5V and then 3.3V Analog is filtered from the digital supply to feed the 3.3V Analog Pin 21 for backwards compatibility and to provide the VREF for the MCU onboard ADC? It should be noted then that an input voltage to the board below 4.7-4.8V or so will lead to reduced CODEC performance not the 4V minimum as specified in the datasheet and those looking to add a second PCM3060 will need to provide an additional 4.5V-5.5V clean analog power supply and not use the 3.3V analog pin on the Daisy Seed.

6 Likes

Yes, you are correct in regards to the min input voltage.
Thanks for pointing this out.

We will get this updated in the datasheet.

I am also very disappointed in how Electrosmith is behaving with this decision. It is flat out shady and shows future intentions to be impure. I am definitely reconsidering using Daisy for any commercial product development.

4 Likes

I am new to the DaisySeed, but hope to take my project off of the DaisySeed and onto a standalone STM32H7 one day. Without the microcontroller included in the schematic, and possibly other things missing, I don’t see how this is possible. This is not only possible but extremely easy with Arduino. They have a whole page dedicated to showing you how to create your own device with an ATMega328p and use Arduino with it. Is it possible to do this with the DaisySeed?

Of course it’s possible, but probably not possible for someone who has to ask if it’s possible. The parts are known, the source code is open. This wouldn’t be a huge reverse-engineering project.

E-S doesn’t want to give this away. But they charge a fair price, and quantity discounts.

Nice pretentious answer. Very helpful. Thanks

2 Likes

You are asking a company to give you things for free, they already are essentially giving away the seed and patch_sm.

Everything you need to know to make your own board is provided for free from STMicroelectronics, here you go

STM32H750 Reference manual

Hi,
apart from the other business model from Arduino, who ask you to pay for the software, to earn their living, there is a huge difference in an Atmega chip, and Daysies Arm with external memory running at 480MHz. Even if you had the schematic, you have to develop a layout of a multilayer PCB, which works with such high frequencies…

1 Like

Well if you used the qfp version of the chip you would only need a 2 layer board, if you’re not sampling audio you don’t need the extra memory, you probably don’t need the USB interface etc. I’d like to one day design my own hardware, but I guess no one else has the same view. I’m sure its possible by reading the manual, I’m saying that its too bad that the full schematic used to be public but it was redacted.

I agree 100% that it’s unfortunate that the full schematic isn’t available.
But, even a full schematic wouldn’t necessarily lead to a successful implementation.

1 Like

No, you’re right. But I think it would be very helpful in case someone wanted to try. I was just listing another reason one might want to see the full schematic in this thread

Even if you use QFP instead of BGA, I recommend that you use at least 4 layers, there are high speed circuits involved which cause huge and fast ground current spikes. In addition, the four-layer design will be simpler than a two-layer design.

I also feel this is a step in the wrong direction. The original tagline of the Daisy during the kickstarter was

ARDUINO But synth

Now obviously Arduino makes everything public. I was also under the impression that the main thing that made the daisy hard to copy was the bootloader = not the hardware.

. One of the main complaints that a lot of people in the community have had over the years with the daisy is that often information is hard to find and can often take multiple forum posts to get a straight answer. (if you do eventually get one) For many topics you have to rely entirely on whether or not other users have posted about the topic etc. Designing for the Daisy can be a constant struggle of one step foward two steps back UNLESS you are already a pro at C++ and you have put in a long time understanding the design choices electro-smith made in their multiple revisions etc.

I understand that electro-smith does not want people copying their IP but when we have multiple versions in the field and as designers we are simply wanting to understand the eco-system we are working with- well LESS information makes the platform all the harder to work with and hence less attractive.

it is also worrisome that one day electro smith would just suddenly make this decision. It does not bode well for tying products to a platform where they may suddenly make other decisions down the road that do not seem to take into consideration the people who have come to rely on open information and being “in the loop”

3 Likes

despite designing your own stm board to be not that difficult, the schem for seed rev 7 should totally be osh. weird weird move , not sure what ip exactly they are trying to gate here

1 Like