Oopsy Nooby W/ Questions 🧐

Greetings :vulcan_salute:
I got my Daisy ‘Petal’ recently, and on my first day, already got up and running with a nice little stutter-cutter(<-my word for it: you punch in/out for short-recorded-loops of live-input), and some extra stuff for bitcrushing, lopass, cut-duration, pitch-shift, etc…
so i’m excited! :smiley: got a few questions as i round the finish on this…

-is there any other way to utilize the ‘encoder’ knob on the Petal, other than for program selection(with multiple gen~ patches in the Oopsy integration)? i wonder even if there’s ways to program the lights(i notice they’re colored LEDs on first power-up… wondering how to play more with that… if maybe there’s a way within gen~, or if i’d have to move more to C++/DaisySP, or if any of that particular encoder is even accessible at all for more open-ended purposes)?

-along the lines of that same question, i see 8 LEDs around the encoder, does that mean we can have up to 8 programs loaded on one Petal? (i read somewhere it was 5, but having trouble finding it now)… with multiple gen~ patches in one Oopsy integration, what’s the maximum allowed?

-is there a special repo or place to share our finished gen~ patches? (or is it just in the other/outer “Projects and Examples” forum category?)

-any danger to flashing/reflashing the Daisy Seed constantly as i’m frequently debugging and iterating? (should i be more conservative with how often i push changes to the Daisy or would that just be too paranoid?)

-could i connect an audio signal to control via the ‘Expression Pedal’(‘EXP’) input? (i have a Moog EP3 which is probably perfect for this, but just asking about more esoteric options - to use it more like a CV input but possibly via an aux-out on my audio I/O… any idea of allowable voltage/current?)

-i guess i can hear that it’s automatic, but just want to make sure: when plugging a single mono input through the “IN L (MONO)” jack of the Petal, is there any way to detect what inputs are connected and rework everything internally by our own code(through gen~ or even C++), or is it always automatically split to stereo from there if nothing else is connected to the “IN R” jack too?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my nooby questions, and for any help anyone can provide. Looking forward to sharing this weird thingy i made with all of you here soon :mechanical_arm:

ha, i’m having great luck here… so i might be able to answer some of my questions(but feel free to correct me if i end up wrong), posting here in case it helps to see the evolution from my nooby state :sweat_smile:
-i think to work the encoder would fall outside gen~ purview(since it’s reserved for macro changes in this particular setup of the daisy system)… but aha! found the libDaisy .pdf (libDaisy/libdaisy_reference.pdf at master · electro-smith/libDaisy · GitHub)…page 139: “daisy::DaisyPetal::RingLed”… ha! sweet :sunglasses: i guess i might try to learn C++ after all :nerd_face:

-re: any danger to flashing/reflashing… i’m guessing not, but here’s an option to use the JTAG for direct communication, and that could help me with removing strain from constant manual presses:

-re: “could i connect an audio signal to control via the ‘Expression Pedal’(‘EXP’) input?”
awwwww snapz! look at what’s already here on the forums :point_down: i’m on fire! :muscle: :fire:

(and that schematic shows the circuitry normalled from in1 to in2 for mono connections… so i’d probably have to rewire the hardware… and i realize now, it’s best as is since i’ll always have both inputs connected to something even when i’m trying to do some weird separate processing… so maybe i asked a couple stupid questions to begin with :laughing: )

looking back, i think i actually ended up answering everything for myself :smile:
(apologies for polluting the forum here a bit… maybe it’ll be helpful for others to read through, though)
Thanks for your patience! :pray: (i still got that excited beginner feeling :sweat_smile:, but i got a better idea of how to find things now :+1:)

2 Likes

Quick question: coming from Oopsy, i don’t run into any steps for creating the .bin file that everyone shares in the “Projects and Examples” section(it just flashes straight from the Oopsy patch), how do i create the .bin file for sharing with others most easily?

Glad to see you’re having such a great time with it! (and also have been answering many of your own questions!) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The oopsy integration creates a folder within the Max 8/Packages/oopsy/Source folder. The name of the folder can be fairly long, but will be something like build_reverbthing_petal inside of which is the C++ source code, and a Makefile for building the code from the command line. There is also a build/ folder that after a successful build from oopsy will contain the .bin file you’re wondering about.

1 Like

Thank you so much! :pray:

1 Like