Oopsy Nooby W/ Questions šŸ§

Greetings :vulcan_salute:
I got my Daisy ā€˜Petalā€™ recently, and on my first day, already got up and running with a nice little stutter-cutter(<-my word for it: you punch in/out for short-recorded-loops of live-input), and some extra stuff for bitcrushing, lopass, cut-duration, pitch-shift, etcā€¦
so iā€™m excited! :smiley: got a few questions as i round the finish on thisā€¦

-is there any other way to utilize the ā€˜encoderā€™ knob on the Petal, other than for program selection(with multiple gen~ patches in the Oopsy integration)? i wonder even if thereā€™s ways to program the lights(i notice theyā€™re colored LEDs on first power-upā€¦ wondering how to play more with thatā€¦ if maybe thereā€™s a way within gen~, or if iā€™d have to move more to C++/DaisySP, or if any of that particular encoder is even accessible at all for more open-ended purposes)?

-along the lines of that same question, i see 8 LEDs around the encoder, does that mean we can have up to 8 programs loaded on one Petal? (i read somewhere it was 5, but having trouble finding it now)ā€¦ with multiple gen~ patches in one Oopsy integration, whatā€™s the maximum allowed?

-is there a special repo or place to share our finished gen~ patches? (or is it just in the other/outer ā€œProjects and Examplesā€ forum category?)

-any danger to flashing/reflashing the Daisy Seed constantly as iā€™m frequently debugging and iterating? (should i be more conservative with how often i push changes to the Daisy or would that just be too paranoid?)

-could i connect an audio signal to control via the ā€˜Expression Pedalā€™(ā€˜EXPā€™) input? (i have a Moog EP3 which is probably perfect for this, but just asking about more esoteric options - to use it more like a CV input but possibly via an aux-out on my audio I/Oā€¦ any idea of allowable voltage/current?)

-i guess i can hear that itā€™s automatic, but just want to make sure: when plugging a single mono input through the ā€œIN L (MONO)ā€ jack of the Petal, is there any way to detect what inputs are connected and rework everything internally by our own code(through gen~ or even C++), or is it always automatically split to stereo from there if nothing else is connected to the ā€œIN Rā€ jack too?

Thanks in advance for your patience with my nooby questions, and for any help anyone can provide. Looking forward to sharing this weird thingy i made with all of you here soon :mechanical_arm:

ha, iā€™m having great luck hereā€¦ so i might be able to answer some of my questions(but feel free to correct me if i end up wrong), posting here in case it helps to see the evolution from my nooby state :sweat_smile:
-i think to work the encoder would fall outside gen~ purview(since itā€™s reserved for macro changes in this particular setup of the daisy system)ā€¦ but aha! found the libDaisy .pdf (libDaisy/doc/libdaisy_reference.pdf at master Ā· electro-smith/libDaisy Ā· GitHub)ā€¦page 139: ā€œdaisy::DaisyPetal::RingLedā€ā€¦ ha! sweet :sunglasses: i guess i might try to learn C++ after all :nerd_face:

-re: any danger to flashing/reflashingā€¦ iā€™m guessing not, but hereā€™s an option to use the JTAG for direct communication, and that could help me with removing strain from constant manual presses:

-re: ā€œcould i connect an audio signal to control via the ā€˜Expression Pedalā€™(ā€˜EXPā€™) input?ā€
awwwww snapz! look at whatā€™s already here on the forums :point_down: iā€™m on fire! :muscle: :fire:

(and that schematic shows the circuitry normalled from in1 to in2 for mono connectionsā€¦ so iā€™d probably have to rewire the hardwareā€¦ and i realize now, itā€™s best as is since iā€™ll always have both inputs connected to something even when iā€™m trying to do some weird separate processingā€¦ so maybe i asked a couple stupid questions to begin with :laughing: )

looking back, i think i actually ended up answering everything for myself :smile:
(apologies for polluting the forum here a bitā€¦ maybe itā€™ll be helpful for others to read through, though)
Thanks for your patience! :pray: (i still got that excited beginner feeling :sweat_smile:, but i got a better idea of how to find things now :+1:)

2 Likes

Quick question: coming from Oopsy, i donā€™t run into any steps for creating the .bin file that everyone shares in the ā€œProjects and Examplesā€ section(it just flashes straight from the Oopsy patch), how do i create the .bin file for sharing with others most easily?

Glad to see youā€™re having such a great time with it! (and also have been answering many of your own questions!) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The oopsy integration creates a folder within the Max 8/Packages/oopsy/Source folder. The name of the folder can be fairly long, but will be something like build_reverbthing_petal inside of which is the C++ source code, and a Makefile for building the code from the command line. There is also a build/ folder that after a successful build from oopsy will contain the .bin file youā€™re wondering about.

1 Like

Thank you so much! :pray:

1 Like