Off the shelf Seed Socket

Hi friends, I have a Seed and I need to just connect power and audio in/out to incorporate this into a much larger prototype (maybe later add some control pots and such) so I want to buy a socket where I can plug the Seed into this. Is there an off the shelf socket that will fit the Seed? I am not sure of the exact dimensions, I expect the 20 pins are on .1" centers but how far apart are the two rows? Is it a standard dimension?

I use two different rows of female pin headers for that. Maybe there is some specific socket for the Daisy but I had these pin headers at hand so I didn’t even try searching. Both rows are 15.24 mm (0.6”) apart.

You’ll find a discussion about the Seed pin layout at

It includes a pointer to Feather info which I think shares the physical form factor and a pointer to a KiCad ‘footprint’.

Seeds are now available with headers not soldered on (at my request! :laughing:) An alternative header type that I’m starting to work with has screw terminals. Here’s an example:

1 Like

Yeah, that was my first idea, but as the two rows would not be fixed together it would be too flimsy. I was hoping there might be a socket I could glue in place until I replace that with a PCB holding an additional codec.

I found the answer to my quest, a ZIF socket (Zero Insertion Force), fits perfectly!

It is $5 from Mary Ann on eBay.

2 Likes

Brilliant solution, @PJ_Noxon! I just ordered me a couple.

I never even considered that there would be a compatible ZIF solution, especially at that price. Well done! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Yes, $5 is cheap. But using headers costs about 90% less.

Hi all,

I was wondering if something like this would work:
TE: 1-2199299-5

Any thoughts or feedback here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett

At the risk of repeating myself… what advantage does this have over using headers?

Hi @tele_player,

Ah, great question - for me i’m doing board layout and being able to use the pre-created footprints and 3D models help me build up a board more quickly… not that I can’t do that with headers… just a preference to try it out… plus I think it looks a little nicer than just headers… but again, just preference

Thanks,
Brett

The part you linked above is intended to take the legs of an IC, which are shorter and thinner than the pins on a Daisy Seed.

@tele_player,

Thank you for the info. Overall, It sure would look nice to have something like that so it can be a little lower profile, mostly because on the device I am making the Daisy seed will be on the bottom of a three board setup, so it would be nice to have it a little lower profile.

Thanks again for the info.

There things like this: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mill-max-manufacturing-corp./415-47-220-41-004000/8575764

But anyway, the seed’s pin height would be the minimum height if “hot swap” is important in your device. Alternatively, you can just solder the seed directly to the board itself.

1 Like

@brbrr,

Thank you for the link.

Brett