No audio out on one channel on Daisy Seed board

I just started to use a spare Daisy Seed board this past month and I noticed that I am not getting any signal from the out[1] - right channel (pin number 19 on the Seed board).

I went in with a small probe and traced the signal to the WM8731 chip’s corresponding pin. I can see (and hear) the right channel out[1] signal, but the signal does not make it pin 19, and an ohmmeter reads infinity to analog ground.

I tried reflowing solder on pin 19, but still no signal output.

I purchased this board in March 2023, so I imagine it is out of warranty by now.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to get it to work again?

I was thinking if there is a passive component that was not properly wave-soldered and it was damaged or missing, I could just try to identify where on the board it is missing or damaged by using the PCB gerber files and/or pictorals. but I am not familiar on how to open/read them.

Another option would be to just get another Daisy Seed board. Are the new batch of Seed boards with the PCM3060 audio codec chip available now?

Thanks everybody!

Hi nettech15,

I’m sorry to hear about this issue with the audio output.

Unfortunately, it’s technically out of warranty since we carry a 30-day warranty. This means that you would have to ship it in on your own for a repair. The repair itself will be free, but the shipping to and from might be as expensive as just buying a new Seed depending on where you are living.

There’s a case that the Seed is unrepairable if it’s an issue with the H7.

If you purchase a new Seed right now, it should be the rev 7 which has the new audio codec.

Ultimately, it’s up to you. If you do want to send it in for a repair, please email me with your order # and the detail about the issue and we’ll proceed from there.

Hey Takumi_Ogata,

Thanks for responding!

I agree with you that it would be more practical to buy a new Daisy Seed board instead of sending the damaged board back for repair. I wanted to get the new rev 7 version 1.2 board anyway.

When I place my new order, should I specifically request the rev 7 version 1.2 board?

My defective board will be donated to a friend who wanted to experiment with it, and she is ok with mono output, so that works out well.

Thanks again!

Sounds good!
And it should be rev 7 by default from here on out (until a new version comes out).

And that’s super generous of you to donate it to your friend :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any other questions!

1 Like