Newbie question - reading & combining schematics

Hi all,

I’m a complete newb to embedded platforms, so my apologies if this is a stupid question. I’ve purchased a Daisy Seed and am looking to incorporate it in a custom guitar pedal.

Ideally I’d like to combine elements of the hardware layouts of the Daisy Petal & Patch. So incorporating the OLED display, Midi, and 2 x CV outputs of the Patch with how ever many switches and knobs from the Petal that I still have room for (plus expression input).

Stereo in/out only. No other audio IO. No LED ring. No gates.

If I am reading the schematic correctly (a big IF) it looks like all the connections on the left side of the Daisy can follow the Patch schematic, and then on the right side GPIO16-22 can be used for expression, pots & switches. GPIO25-29 look like they’d be available too (seems they are used for other IO on the Patch that I don’t need).

Does that look/sound reasonable?

Can I also move OLED_RST from GPIO31 to one of GPIO16-22 or 25-29 thereby freeing up GPIO30-31 for USB?

I’ll probably have further questions re the hardware side but will start here. Happy to be directed to some remedial reading resources if that would help.

Well I’m not quite sure what you mean by right / left side, but as long as you’ve got enough pins for all your functions (and select analog inputs for analog functions like pots and CVs), you should be good!

And yes, you can definitely change the OLED reset pin location.

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve ordered a few parts and will just start patching some simple examples together and try not to kill my Seed :laughing:

Is there anything specifically I should be aware of so that I don’t make any disastrous mistakes like that? I figure that as long as I don’t blow it up I can’t do too much wrong - things just won’t work until I get them right, right?

By left/right I was referring to the schematics … when looking at the connections to the Seed the pins on the left of the diagram (GPIO0 - AGND) would mostly follow the Patch schematic and the pins on the right (GND - +3V3_A) would incorporate the pots and switches from the Petal. From what you’ve said, it sounds like that should work.

I’ll be using Gen~ & Oopsy on the software side if that makes any difference?
[edit for spelling]

1 Like

Sounds like it’ll work!

The most dangerous thing in terms of breaking stuff is power really. If you reverse power a chip or power it with the wrong voltage things can get hairy. All part of the learning experience though!

With regard to Oopsy, you’ll need to make some custom JSON if you want to use custom hardware.
Since you’re mashing up the patch and the petal you can base it off of their respective json files.
patch json for oopsy
petal json for oopsy

I’m gonna see if I can dig up some more documentation for custom oopsy json.]
Let me know if you have any more questions!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. And happy New Year! :partying_face:

Ok, good to know I’m on the right track. Yes, power is what I’m most concerned about - I figure I’ll just keep checking with my multi-meter, particularly before connecting power to the Seed.

Thanks so much for linking to the json. I’m a git newbie too so may not have found those buried away (there are sooo many resources).

Would be great if you found any more docs re custom oopsy json - just getting myself psyched up to jump in :laughing: