My POD expander

Just wanted to share my very first hardware project and my first fabricated PCB.
There are some minor issues like pot orientation, but overall it turned out pretty nice (for a beginner).

5 Likes

This awesome! And thank you so much for sharing.

I really like this idea of a “Pod-expander”. I can imagine there being various expanders for different components and swapping them around.

1 Like

Version 2.1 is here with header/pot orientation fixes. Plans for the next version include 8 pots and 8 buttons.

2 Likes

I have added yet another variation (OLED, 2 knobs and a switch).

3 Likes

Wow! Nice display. Kudos @KnightHill !

I would change that to an expander board with a generous helping of pads available for mounting encoders, switches, an oled or two, a joystick, etc.

An individual could choose to populate a given part or not depending on their needs. And you might be able to arrange some of the pads so it could have a choice of parts to keep the board frpm getting too ridiculous in terms of size - you could have eight encoder and eight switches or 16 encoders, etc. - including things that could be mounted instead of a display. That way you could get some different uses out of a single board.

1 Like

This is awesome!!! :star_struck:

1 Like

I like the idea. However, what could be done is quite limited by the number of pins exposed by the Pod. I am reaching a point where it looks easier to design a Pod-like board with the configuration that I want instead of further pushing the Pod expander.

The next variant (below) is probably going to be the last before designing a Daisy board from scratch:

2 Likes

Final version of the OLED expander, no more cables :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This all turned out amazingly!
It’s been awesome seeing the evolution of this project!

1 Like

The latest iteration (I2C display + MIDI OUT) was a failure. A couple of observations:

• I2C displays are painfully slow compared to SPI. Definitely not something that can be used for real-time processes, like oscilloscopes
  • It looks only pins D13/D14 and D29/D30 can be used for MIDI In/Out via USART. None of these is exposed by the Pod. My plan to use pin 9 failed miserably :frowning:

SPI and I2C expanders side by side:

1 Like

Doesn’t the pod already have MIDI via a TRS cable?

Pod has MIDI IN only.

1 Like