Mac: No DFU capable USB device available

Hi,

I am trying to follow the seed Setting Up Your Development Environment guide on a Mac (12.3.1) and I’m stuck.

Initially when running the install.command script I get:

==> Running brew cleanup dfu-util

Error: Cask ‘gcc-arm-embedded’ is unavailable: No Cask with this name exists.

find: /usr/local/Caskroom/gcc-arm-embedded: No such file or directory

find: /usr/local/Caskroom/gcc-arm-embedded: No such file or directory

Done

Saving session…

…copying shared history…

…saving history…truncating history files…

…completed.

[Process completed]

I then tried running the commands from the script and with:

brew install ./gcc-arm-embedded.rb --cask

…I got /usr/local/Caskroom/gcc-arm-embedded

After this I ran the next command from the script:

find /usr/local/Caskroom/gcc-arm-embedded -type f -perm +111 -print | xargs spctl --add --label “gcc-arm-embedded”

When I then open the Blink example in VS Code and run task build_all, I get a warning for build_daisysp and build_libdaisy saying:

Error: Invalid problemMatcher reference: $gcc

Trying to run task build_and_program_dfu I get:

dfu-util: Warning: Invalid DFU suffix signature

dfu-util: A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release

dfu-util: No DFU capable USB device available

make: *** [program-dfu] Error 74

The terminal process “/bin/zsh ‘-c’, ‘make clean; make; make program-dfu’” terminated with exit code: 2.

I have tried different USB cables and given the Chrome web programmer (Daisy Web Programmer) is working, this does not seem to be the issue.

I don’t know if these different issues are connected but I’d really like to be able to deploy from VS Code so any help is much appreciated!

Regards
Tore

UPDATE:
When I run ./dfu-util -l with the seed in bootloader mode, it does find the seed:

dfu-util 0.11

(…)

Found DFU: [0483:df11] ver=0200, devnum=2, cfg=1, intf=0, path=“20-2”, alt=1, name="@Option Bytes /0x5200201C/01*128 e", serial=“200364500000”

Found DFU: [0483:df11] ver=0200, devnum=2, cfg=1, intf=0, path=“20-2”, alt=0, name="@Internal Flash /0x08000000/16*128Kg", serial=“200364500000”

UPDATE 2:

Looks like the problem was that I had the Cortex-Debug extension enabled. At least now it appears to be working.

You need to run a Mac OS 11 in Parallel connecting the hardware USB to use DFU as Mac OS 12 has changed the kernel which DFU will no longer be supported. Or maybe a patch is coming hopefully.

Hi kuhoyip,

I actually tried on Big Sur first but had the same issues. Also, the Cortex-Debug extension unfortunately wasn’t the problem. It’s just not stable and sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t :frowning:

Regards
Tore

I use Big Sur but having no problem on the DFU. Maybe the updated version of DFU not friendly with Mac OS now.

…i seem to be stuck at this too - on macOS Ventura, which just does not want to see the Seed on the USB bus…

…is there a solution (i could not find one yet) other than trying to get an older Mac with an older OS?..

…this doe not work for me either - i cannot see the Seed on the USB-bus:

…thank you for picking up the thread…

…yes, the basics seem to be no problem - the Seed is in reset-mode (or whatever it is called)…

…no, i have not tried an older macOS or OS X version, but was rather whining that i might have to get an older Mac to try if that works…

…however: i was wondering if i could not use the debug-probe instead (which i wanted to buy anyway) - hoping that this is detected on the USB-bus…

I’m going to voice my opinion about Discord, again.

While it’s possible @fairplay will find a solution from somebody on Discord, whatever is learned won’t be available to the next person who has the same problem. And there WILL be a next person…

I really wish Discord hadn’t become so popular for this kind of thing. Discord is a fancy chat room, and not good at creating a knowledge base.

…thank you both for your support - as stated in another thread changing the USB-cable did the trick…a little embarrassing, as this is what i usually tell other people to do first…i guess i was just sitting to close in front of the problem and lost the overview…

…regarding the Discord: i much prefer forums like this as it will preserve the information and make it searchable; this is why i try to find old threads and post there if the topic is related to the threads subject…

…i am also sorry to have posted about (in hindsight) the same problem in two threads - i did not mean to spam…

I totally understand your concern.

Whenever I do direct a user to Discord and they end up finding the solution there, I will be making sure to reply to the original post with that. Having the solution searchable in the forum is important to us. :slight_smile: