Getting started Linux ARM Toolchain

I may be dim, but i can’t get my head around how to install the ARM Toolchain on my Linux machine. Can someone give me help.

I can download and extract, but i can’t see where in the bashrc file where to add the specified text. Also i see lots of bashrc files, most connected to my anaconda distribution and sub environments.

I have a Seed.

Cheers, Will

~/.bashrc is just a bash script that would run when you login. You can put commands in any order unless there’s some dependency between them. So just add everything you need in the end of this file.

Ok thanks… I have found the file now and added the text.

I’m still hitting a brick wall though. I’m getting a 404 Not Found Error when i select the seed as the platform and choose a random example. I get the full information when i select any of the other platform options… eg. Pod.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Will

Here is the full print of the error i get when trying to REBUILD_LIBS.SH:

(base) will@will-Lenovo-G580:~/Desktop/DaisyExamples$ ./rebuild_libs.sh
/home/will/Desktop/DaisyExamples
rebuilding everything. . . 
only errors, and warnings will output. . . 
-------------------
rebuilding libdaisy
/bin/sh: 1: arm-none-eabi-g++: Exec format error
make: *** [build/daisy_seed.o] Error 2
done building libdaisy
rebuilding DaisySP
/bin/sh: 1: arm-none-eabi-g++: Exec format error
make: *** [build/adenv.o] Error 2
done building daisySP
done building libs
1 Like

Ah, this brings up a good point about the Programmer application. The 404 is simply for the README of additional information. A lot of the DaisySP examples don’t have READMEs yet, but they’re very simple examples that generate sound based around one of the DaisySP modules.

I’ll start populating READMEs for those examples, and also fix up the 404 display message to simply say that additional information about the example is not available. As long as the “File Location” field updates you can still program the example to your Daisy even if there is no additional info.

As for your arm-none-eabi-gcc issues, I haven’t personally seen that issue, but it looks like it could be a binary incompatibility with your machines architecture. Can you describe the machine you’re trying to run (processor architecture, distro, etc.)?

Also, there are a lot of places with the toolchain on the internet, looking at the arm developer site, this is most likely the toolchain you want It’s the x86_64 linux binaries.

Ah thanks, that does make some sense now!

Here is the machine info:

(base) will@will-Lenovo-G580:~$ uname -a
Linux will-Lenovo-G580 5.4.0-42-generic #46~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 10 07:21:24 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

H/W path       Device      Class       Description
==================================================
                           system      Computer
/0                         bus         Motherboard
/0/0                       memory      5792MiB System memory
/0/1                       processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz
/0/100                     bridge      3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller
/0/100/2                   display     3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controlle
/0/100/14                  bus         7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB x
/0/100/1a                  bus         7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced
/0/100/1b                  multimedia  7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definit
/0/100/1c                  bridge      7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express 
/0/100/1c.1                bridge      7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI E
/0/100/1c.1/0  wlp2s0b1    network     BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapte
/0/100/1c.3                bridge      7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express 
/0/100/1c.3/0  enp3s0      network     AR8162 Fast Ethernet
/0/100/1d                  bus         7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced
/0/100/1f                  bridge      HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller
/0/100/1f.2                storage     7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Contr
/0/100/1f.3                bus         7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Contro
/0/2           scsi4       storage     
/0/2/0.0.0     /dev/cdrom  disk        DVD-RAM UJ8D1
/0/2/0.0.0/0   /dev/cdrom  disk        
/1             scsi6       storage

b****y Hell, i may have done it?!"£!"££

(base) will@will-Lenovo-G580:~/Desktop/DaisyExamples$ ./rebuild_libs.sh
/home/will/Desktop/DaisyExamples
rebuilding everything. . . 
only errors, and warnings will output. . . 
-------------------
rebuilding libdaisy
done building libdaisy
rebuilding DaisySP
done building daisySP
done building libs
1 Like

I did have to do this but then was good to go!

https://forum.electro-smith.com/t/web-programmer-securityerror-access-denied-on-linux-solved/192