Getting started: can't build blink!

I’m really falling at the first hurdle - I’m trying to install the blink example on a Seed without success!

I’m relatively certain I’ve followed the toolchain installation correctly. In VS Code when I try and build the blink example I get this issue:

> Executing task: make <

arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DSTM32H750xx  -ISource -ISource/Control -ISource/Drums -ISource/Dynamics -ISource/Effects -ISource/Filters -ISource/Noise -ISource/PhysicalModeling -ISource/Synthesis -ISource/Utility  -O3 -Wall -Werror -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/adenv.d" -MT"build/adenv.d" -fno-exceptions -finline-functions  -std=gnu++14 -static -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/adenv.lst Source/Control/adenv.cpp -o build/adenv.o
Source/Control/adenv.cpp:34:5: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction: 4
   34 |     x = 1.0f + x / 1024.0f;
      |     ^
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <https://bugs.linaro.org/> for instructions.
make: *** [build/adenv.o] Error 1
The terminal process "/bin/zsh '-c', 'make'" terminated with exit code: 2.

Any tips?

I forgot to add: I’m on an M1 MacBook Pro macOS 12.4

What version of arm-none-eabi-g++ you are using? The latest versions, unfortunately, do not support cross-compilation to bare metal from arm64.

GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain 10.3-2021.10 is the latest supported version ATM.

if I check the version it says:

arm-none-eabi-g++ (GNU Toolchain for the Arm Architecture 11.2-2022.02 (arm-11.14)) 11.2.1 20220111

I didn’t really install that one on purpose, I guess it got installed at some point whilst setting up the general toolchain?

so, does that mean I need to change that somehow?

so, does that mean I need to change that somehow?

Yes. you would need to uninstall the version you have right now. I personally was able to set up the toolchain on my M1 by downloading .pkg from: Downloads | GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain Downloads – Arm Developer

ok cool, I’ll give that a try. I’m a bit concerned that it’s going to be very challenging to uninstall everything correctly! fingers crossed.

success!

I didn’t bother attempting to uninstall the GNU toolchain, I just download the version 10.3 and installed the package and it seems to have overwritten the newer version. I then went back to Visual Studio Code and everything was able to build and install on the Daisy exactly as described in the wiki. Many thanks @brbrr! I have a blinking LED. time to make some more exciting stuff…

cc @shensley since it’s not the first time folks facing issues with toolchain installation on arm64-based (M1) computers. As a quick and dirty solution - the toolchain install script might direct folks to the 10.3 download page with clear messaging on what to do.

1 Like

Yeah, it is the same for us GNU/Linux users too.

@brbrr @StaffanMelin thanks for the heads up.

I just updated the Mac and Linux installation wikis to have some troubleshooting notes regarding the proper version.
I also updated the relevant links to the same as above (that still points to 10.3) to hopefully avoid other users stumbling into the wrong version in the future.

1 Like

Hi. I also can’t build blink! After following the instructions (Daisy How To: Setting Up Your C++ Environment!! - YouTube) very carefully up until this point, I’ve received the error message:

Executing task: make

/usr/bin/bash: line 1: make: command not found

• The terminal process “C:\Program Files\Git\bin\bash.exe ‘–login’, ‘-c’, ‘make’” terminated with exit code: 127.

I haven’t been able to trouble shoot this so far so help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Hi @captainturtlez sorry to hear you’re having trouble,

Firstly I should note that some of the info in that video is out of date.
I’d recommend using the toolchain installer for windows instead. That comes with a copy of make that should be visible to git bash.

The new process is described here. You’ll want to run the Daisy Toolchain installer for Windows.

Let me know how things work once you’ve done that! If there’s still issues we can troubleshoot them a bit.

1 Like