Getting started: can't build blink!

I’m really falling at the first hurdle - I’m trying to install the blink example on a Seed without success!

I’m relatively certain I’ve followed the toolchain installation correctly. In VS Code when I try and build the blink example I get this issue:

> Executing task: make <

arm-none-eabi-g++ -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DSTM32H750xx  -ISource -ISource/Control -ISource/Drums -ISource/Dynamics -ISource/Effects -ISource/Filters -ISource/Noise -ISource/PhysicalModeling -ISource/Synthesis -ISource/Utility  -O3 -Wall -Werror -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -MMD -MP -MF"build/adenv.d" -MT"build/adenv.d" -fno-exceptions -finline-functions  -std=gnu++14 -static -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/adenv.lst Source/Control/adenv.cpp -o build/adenv.o
Source/Control/adenv.cpp:34:5: internal compiler error: Illegal instruction: 4
   34 |     x = 1.0f + x / 1024.0f;
      |     ^
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <https://bugs.linaro.org/> for instructions.
make: *** [build/adenv.o] Error 1
The terminal process "/bin/zsh '-c', 'make'" terminated with exit code: 2.

Any tips?

I forgot to add: I’m on an M1 MacBook Pro macOS 12.4

What version of arm-none-eabi-g++ you are using? The latest versions, unfortunately, do not support cross-compilation to bare metal from arm64.

GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain 10.3-2021.10 is the latest supported version ATM.

if I check the version it says:

arm-none-eabi-g++ (GNU Toolchain for the Arm Architecture 11.2-2022.02 (arm-11.14)) 11.2.1 20220111

I didn’t really install that one on purpose, I guess it got installed at some point whilst setting up the general toolchain?

so, does that mean I need to change that somehow?

so, does that mean I need to change that somehow?

Yes. you would need to uninstall the version you have right now. I personally was able to set up the toolchain on my M1 by downloading .pkg from: Downloads | GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain Downloads – Arm Developer

ok cool, I’ll give that a try. I’m a bit concerned that it’s going to be very challenging to uninstall everything correctly! fingers crossed.

success!

I didn’t bother attempting to uninstall the GNU toolchain, I just download the version 10.3 and installed the package and it seems to have overwritten the newer version. I then went back to Visual Studio Code and everything was able to build and install on the Daisy exactly as described in the wiki. Many thanks @brbrr! I have a blinking LED. time to make some more exciting stuff…

cc @shensley since it’s not the first time folks facing issues with toolchain installation on arm64-based (M1) computers. As a quick and dirty solution - the toolchain install script might direct folks to the 10.3 download page with clear messaging on what to do.

1 Like

Yeah, it is the same for us GNU/Linux users too.

@brbrr @StaffanMelin thanks for the heads up.

I just updated the Mac and Linux installation wikis to have some troubleshooting notes regarding the proper version.
I also updated the relevant links to the same as above (that still points to 10.3) to hopefully avoid other users stumbling into the wrong version in the future.

1 Like