Getting error messages with ./rebuild_all.sh

Hi! I’ve been programming my Patch and Seed via the Daisy Web Programmer with good success. I decided to take the next step and set up the Toolchain on my Mac, as well as adding DaisyDuino to my Arduino IDE. The latter took a bit of doing, as STM32CubeProgrammer was fighting me all the way, refusing to install until STM Tech Support helping with the CLI approach. So good on Web Programmer and Arduino!

However, I can’t seem to get the Toolchain part working. I followed the directions for installation on the DaisyWiki page, but I get error messages when executing ./rebuild_all.sh on the DaisyExamples:

Peters-Mac-Pro:daisyexamples Peter$ ./rebuild_all.sh
building libDaisy . . .
make: *** No rule to make target clean'. Stop. make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop. done. building DaisySP . . . make: *** No rule to make target clean’. Stop.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
done.
building examples:
building seed/Blink/
Makefile:13: …/…/libdaisy/core/Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `…/…/libdaisy/core/Makefile’. Stop.

I see what the errors say, but I have no idea how to fix those; could someone point me in the right direction, please? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @GuitarBuilder

It looks like you’re working with a fresh clone of the DaisyExamples repo, and the submodules (libdaisy and DaisySP) are not pulled in yet.

To remedy this you should be able to run the following from the DaisyExamples folder:

git submodule update --init

This should pull in the missing files, and allow you to run ./rebuild_all.sh without issue.

That said, if you’re only planning on using Arduino you may not need all of the tools installed since most (except for the STM32CubeProg) are bundled inside of the stm32duino board manager files.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks, Stephen!

Please forgive the dumb noob question, but which DaisyExamples folder are you referring to? This command doesn’t work on the one I copied to my Desktop. Should I create a new clone of the repo?

Yes, Arduino would be one way to go; unfortunately I don’t (yet) know how to convert the other code examples into Arduino IDE (for those that are posted on the forum or are in CPP format. I’m way down on the learning curve still!

1 Like

No problem at all! Did you download the DaisyExamples folder that you have using the git clone command, or did you download it as a zip file from Github?

If the latter, that would explain why you can’t run the command I mentioned.

If so you can reclone (including the submodules) by running:

git clone https://github.com/electro-smith/DaisyExamples --recurse-submodules

That will clone the entirety of the project including the library submodules.

If you did download with with git in the first place, and you’re not able to run the update command, what error message do you get when you try?

2 Likes

You guessed it - I downloaded it as a ZIP. I’ll try your suggestion and report back! Thanks!

OK - That worked great! Thanks again!

2 Likes

Awesome ! Glad you got it up and running! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: