(Frequently?) Asked Questions specifically about Patch.init()

Yes

Yes

I’m not 100% sure, but I’m pretty sure sample rate depends on how fast you call it in the script. But they aren’t handled in the audio callback so it’s not really advised to try and do anything audio rate with them.

Seems like you’ve already found the answer. You might be able to fudge something where you hard code the calibration based on trial and error. It wouldn’t work across multiple units but would be ok as a one off if only you are using the script. it would just involve mapping the numbers to match specific voltages.

That very much depends. You could design a front panel as a PCB in KiCad and get it made, design it in a 2d design software like inkscape and get it laser cut, or just trace the original panel onto a piece of aluminium and take to it with a drill and a hack saw. Depends very much on where your skills lie/what you are willing to learn. Plenty of tutorials around for every method (using KiCad, using inkscape, using a hack saw)

1 Like

Amazing, thanks so much for the responses. Looks like i’ll be picking one up.

We did a custom panel - Maximum Effort patch.init() Panel – dsp.coffee

I read the cv ins in the audio callback [ProcessAnalogControls() called in that callback first] and you can get pretty fast modulation that way, this is with a blocksize of 96, unsure if you could actually use those as audio inputs.

3 Likes

I’m also looking to make a custom front panel for the Patch.init(). On the website description it says the ‘front panel design is completely open-source,’ but on downloading the design files from the website I could only find the PCB/schematic files. Is there a dimensioned pdf/dxf/etc of the front panel somewhere? Or are people referencing their custom front panels using the circuit board files? I mostly just want to make sure I line up the jacks/holes properly :slight_smile:

We made ours from scratch, referencing the mainboard files, here’s a blank kicad template w/ our design removed (note I’m using a Kicad 6.99 nightly build over here, older versions won’t open this).

1 Like

This is so awesome, thanks for sharing! Also thanks for the heads-up on the Kicad version info, can confirm it opens in 6.99

1 Like

That custom panel is really cool! Do you think you could make a version on aluminum (silver color) panels?

Not easily, and there hasn’t been enough interest in this batch to justify making more.

To add to the questions here, is Patch.init() supported with examples by Daisyduino and Max MSP?

I recently started another thread with Patch.init() questions. I’m adding the answers here to keep everything in one place

1 Like

Did anyone try using the CV out for audio? How did it go? I can imagine getting a decent sample-rate reduction effect out of it without completely destroying the audio. I’ll give it a try with Oopsy when I get my patch.Init() in ~a week. Maybe it won’t work as well as C++ potentially could though.

We did a custom panel - Maximum Effort patch.init() Panel – dsp.coffee

It looks great.
I’d love to buy it but the postage costs twice as much as the panel!

Oh postage to where? I was trying a 3rd party Shopify tool for calculating import duties a few days ago, are you getting some crazy postage options?

I’d love to buy the panel.
Any way to reduce postage costs to UK?

To UK
Comes up as $17.96
Rather pricey for a $10 panel!
Is there a cheaper option?

Yea that is too much, it’s calculated via Shopify so I wonder if I have the wrong weight in there, I will check.

Oh wow that is actually the lowest option out of all of them Shopify, USPS raised their rates across the board recently.

Is there anyway round this?
Maybe pop it in an envelope with a stamp?:wink:

I just checked and a 1oz letter costs $1.45 to the UK.
I just weighed a similarly sized eurorack front panel and it weighs 0.4 oz.
Obviously I understand that your hands are tied if you go through Shopify, but is there another way to pay for the panel?

Yea the issue is just doing it thru Shopify, weight got rounded up - these are 0.8oz, the design is almost all copper - and there isn’t a simple way to buy normal/letter postage.

I would feel nervous mailing one of these panels internationally in an envelope, so I hadn’t considered that. I think there’s a real chance for it getting damaged that way, but if you want to roll the dice, send me a direct message :slight_smile: