Found Polygonal code online: how to use?

Hi all, just got up and running with Daisy Patch. I’ve only been using the Max gen~ Oopsy package to send code to my device, so I’m less familiar with what is involved with getting text code on the device (though I do have coding experience- just haven’t gotten around to this part with Daisy).

I had seen on the Rebel Technology site that hosts a bunch of OWL/Lich patches that there was an adaptation of the ERM Polygogo eurorack module made for the Lich. I started digging around, found where that code was originally hosted on a Github account, and then saw that there was also a Daisy Patch version! Or so it seems:

So it looks to me like not all the necessary .h and .hpp are alongside this file in the Github directory. I also have had a hard time trying to find if there is any documentation on this whatsoever- a readme, a forum post, a blog, etc. Before I start my initial foray into text coding for Daisy, I wanted to know if anyone had seen this particular patch before and got it working on the Daisy Patch, and/or if anyone knew who this antisvin github user was and if they have a place where the post or explain their work.

I’m ok getting my hands dirty with making this happen, but if it can just run that is preferable.

That patch is not based on code running on E-RM module, but from a VCVRack module. It runs on OWL firmware that was ported to Daisy Patch, but currently it needs the old version of Daisy Seed with AKM codec. Besides that, there’s no DC coupled input on Daisy Patch audio channels, so you can’t use it as a VCO with V/Oct control the way the patch needs.

1 Like

I was wondering if maybe you’d be active here. Appreciate you showing up for clarification! Apologies for rooting around in your Github.

I am still interested this whole “polygonal waveform synthesis” thing, and stereo oscillators generally. If anyone has any tips or resources on implementing such things for Daisy, I’d love to learn more.

Indeed, there’s a lot to discover with this approach - making an oscillator based on a phasor rotating in complex plane and outputting it in stereo. There are other things that I’ve tried as alternative to that polygon waveshape - discrete summation formulas, rhodonea curve, cycloids. They are musically useful, although less harmonically rich than polygonal oscillator that has many discontinuities.

In some cases you can use complex numbers for feedback, which gives a distortion effect that has direction and amount. And naturally FM/PM can be applied (PM doesn’t change waveshape when you look at it in a scope on XY plane, this can be a good or bad thing depending on your goals).

In addition to oscillators, you can use complex math for resonators, basically it’s like a BPF with a single complex pole.

For a more detailed, but not too academic explanation, I would suggesting reading some articles here - katjaashome

1 Like