First Steps -- Daisy Web Programmer

First timers see some online videos, think the Daisy looks cool, buy one (I got the Pod), then shook the box to see if the manual fell out (it didn’t), looked for the PDF online, you know, for the Getting Started or Owner’s Manual, then saw you have to go to the Wiki, which is friendly and informative, but…

Depending on your age demographics you heard The Twilight Zone theme, or you started channeling David Byrne 'This is not my beautiful car/This is not my beautiful house/My God what have I done, or you flashed to the James Franco meme ‘New Here?’, and so on. Honestly, it’s hard to keep up with you kids, being so close to The Great Beyond.

All is not lost however. The Daisy Web Programmer is your quick dopamine hit. The Daisy is phenomenally versatile in how you can program it. Pure Data (pd), Max MSP, Arduino IDE, VS code, TOS (Takumi Operating System). Kidding about that last one.

The Web Programmer seems to me the absolute quickest and easiest way to see immediately what the Daisy can do. And it appears newbie friendly, explaining how to connect to the Daisy, and what the various examples for EACH product do, specifically explaining each knob, switch, etc.

So you have something to do, playing with your Daisy as you slog through learning pd, Max, or even–shudders visibly–VS code.

It’s probably good to post a link to this “infamous” Web Programmer:

https://electro-smith.github.io/Programmer/

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

While it is the first environment that gets mentioned and used in the Daisy Wiki, I see what you’re talking about.
Especially for Pod users like yourself, flashing the examples that come with the Web Programmer is a quick way to see what Daisy can do. This can excite and motivate new users to want to learn more!

2 Likes

No disrespect to E-S or anyone involved with the Daisy. I wouldn’t give mine back for double the money. I try to approach most things with humor, so my comments were meant to be lighthearted. I guess some smiley emojis would help :smiley:

As an engineer I often heard “Well it only works if you’re standing there.” In other words, ‘normal’ people :smile: don’t think like engineers.

When I left one job for a better opportunity, I heard this complicated testing system that I had built needed repair but none of the engineers OR scientists could figure out how to fix it. My manager had NOT allowed me the time to document what I had made, so no one could figure it out when the time came to fix it. There was no RTM :wink:.I can relate to the Daisy as both a newbie and an engineer. So in my own way I am trying to help, not bad mouth anything.
:wink: :+1: :v:

1 Like