Failure to launch

Hello,

I recently got a Daisy Seed and went ahead and installed the Daisy Toolchain, and set up VSCode with Cortex, CMake, DFU, and Python. I was able to flash my Seed with the online tool, but attempting inside VSCode has been a calamity of errors. I was getting error 2 last week, among others. Then I tried on Ubuntu instead of Win 11 and nothing seems to be working. I’ve done both manual download and Git. Currently I am operating out of Daisy Blink. I am unable to see any tasks like “task build_and_program_dfu” in the command palette. I go make program_dfu but it says:

dfu-util -a 0 -s 0x08000000:leave -D build/Blink.bin -d ,0483:df11
dfu-util 0.10

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2020 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util / Tickets

No such file or directory: Could not open file build/Blink.bin for reading
make: *** […/…/libDaisy/core/Makefile:330: program-dfu] Error 74

At this point I’m wondering if there’s another method I should be using. I just want to get some examples flashed through a coding platform and then be on my merry way, but I can’t currently do that. Help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi @pelsew, and welcome to the forum!

It looks like you got stuff installed, but you may have missed the step of building the libraries prior to compiling the example.
This is indicated by the missing build/Blink.bin file.

From the same VS code prompt where you selected the build_and_program_dfu task, you can do the build_all task.
This will compile the libDaisy, and DaisySP libraries (which only need to be done when you’ve first cloned the repo, or when you’re updating the libraries).

Once you’ve done that, you should be able to retry the build_and_program_dfu task, and have it work.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you. It’s been a minute and I’m on a new computer, coming back to this. I have installed the toolchain, git-bash, ARM 10.3, vscode, etc. and I’m now getting this error when I go to make:
$ make
arm-none-eabi-g++ build/startup_stm32h750xx.o build/Blink.o -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard --specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs -T…/…/libDaisy/core/STM32H750IB_flash.lds -L…/…/libDaisy/build -L …/…/DaisySP/build -ldaisy -lc -lm -lnosys -ldaisysp -Wl,-Map=build/Blink.map,–cref -Wl,–gc-sections -Wl,–print-memory-usage -o build/Blink.elf
c:/program files/daisytoolchain/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.2.1/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -ldaisy
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** […/…/libDaisy/core/Makefile:277: build/Blink.elf] Error 1

Any tips? Thanks

Oh and when I go straight to task build_and_program_DFU I get:

rm -fR build
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, rm -fR build, …) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make: […/…/libDaisy/core/Makefile:292: clean] Error 2 (ignored)
arm-none-eabi-g++ build/startup_stm32h750xx.o build/Blink.o -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard --specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs -T…/…/libDaisy/core/STM32H750IB_flash.lds -L…/…/libDaisy/build -L …/…/DaisySP/build -ldaisy -lc -lm -lnosys -ldaisysp -Wl,-Map=build/Blink.map,–cref -Wl,–gc-sections -Wl,–print-memory-usage -o build/Blink.elf
c:/program files/daisytoolchain/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.2.1/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -ldaisy
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** […/…/libDaisy/core/Makefile:277: build/Blink.elf] Error 1
dfu-util -a 0 -s 0x08000000:leave -D build/Blink.bin -d ,0483:df11
dfu-util 0.10

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2020 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util / Tickets

No such file or directory: Could not open file build/Blink.bin for reading
make: *** […/…/libDaisy/core/Makefile:330: program-dfu] Error 74

• The terminal process “C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command make clean; make; make program-dfu” terminated with exit code: 1.
  • Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

The message:
“/ld.exe: cannot find -ldaisy”

means the linker (ld.exe) can’t find the file libdaisy.a

Did you build libdaisy ?

building libdaisy produces the following error, and I am still unable to make or build anything:

• Executing task: make

mkdir -p build/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Src
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
make: *** [Makefile:357: build/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Src/stm32h7xx_hal.o] Error 1

• The terminal process “C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command make” terminated with exit code: 1.
  • Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

Sorry, I know nothing about Windows.

This issue is still happening and I’m unable to do any work on my Daisy Seed. Any advice? Or if this isn’t some obvious error on my end, would any admins want to do a screen share and discuss this issue? No pressure, it might be mutually beneficial though.

P

I’m not a Windoze person, but the fact that it appears to be complaining about the syntax of a mkdir command makes me think you are working in some kind of Windows native environment. I think you should be in an environment that supports Unix/Posix command conventions. My guess is that you should be in some kind of bash (or other Unix shell) emulator and not Powershell. Hopefully someone who knows the windows set up better can chime in with some actual suggestions for how to address this.

Hope this helps,
John

1 Like