Error when trying to run task build_all

I have been following the Setting Up Your Development Environment wiki page closely.

1. I installed the toolchain (used the installer and already had Git installed)
  2. Cloned the source files
  3. I already had VS Code installed but I changed default terminal to Git-Bash
  4. Opened the blink folder
  5. Connected Daisy Seed with USB
  6. Put Daisy into bootloader mode
  7. Tried to run task build_all

Then I ran into an error. In my terminal window in VSC I get the following:

*  Executing task: make 

mkdir -p build/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Src
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
make: *** [Makefile:357: build/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Src/stm32h7xx_hal.o] Error 1

*  The terminal process "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /d /c make" terminated with exit code: 2. 
 *  Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

and from here I am stuck and can’t do anything else. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Hey Scott!
I would be happy to look into this with you.

Thank you for confirming that you followed the steps. It sounds like you did everything right.
First possible thing is that you mentioned Git already being installed. It may help to build on the latest version. You can upgrade with git update-git-for-windows.

And this thread could of help as well: Dev Environment setup on Windows 10 - Error running .build_libs.sh - #11 by Reesepuffs

2 Likes

Hi Takumi,

Thanks for sending me in the right direction!

Here were the steps I took to solve my problem in case someone else has these issues.

1. Updated Git to the latest version
  2. Tried to run task build_all but it failed with the same error again.
  3. Tried a different approach and ran make from a git bash terminal and it returned an error as well.
  4. Navigated to the root examples directory and ran ./rebuild_all.sh it took a while but didn’t give any errors!
  5. Now that the Blink example was built I ran make program-dfu and it worked and programmed successfully!

Baby steps but at least I can build and program the examples now.

Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that it works now!! And thank you for your consideration and documenting the steps & solution. Now the fun begins!