Daisy vs FV-1

If you just want to browse the example code you can load up the following website:

It will present a directory structure that you can browse. You may need to browse into several directory levels before you get to some C++ source files. Here’s an example:

You will need to download the source if you want to build it locally on your machine. Github provides at least two ways to do this. If you want to browse the code on your own computer you can download the code repository as a ZIP file (as mentioned by @shensley in another post in this thread) or you can use the git tool to download the code to your computer.

For background, git is a tool that’s used to track changes to a code base. I’m not sure how much software development you have done in your career, but git is the newest member of the family of tools that include svn/Subversion, bzr/Bazaar, Perforce, Visual Sourcesafe, cvs, rcs, and sccs.

If you familiar with any of the other tools above for version-control, you may know that they operate with a server that stores the code. Github is a publicly available server that works with git.

I hope that helps clear a couple things up!

1 Like

Thanks @HeavySauceSquad. I have made a ton of progress since I last posted on this thread. I was finally able to navigate the examples, get them downloaded, modify and debug them. In fact you can hear my Pod DaisyWheel under Latest Projects and Examples.

What @tele_player said in the post before yours was disheartening:

My opinion is, Daisy isn’t appropriate for C/C++ beginners OR DSP beginners OR microcontroller beginners.

I hate to think that Daisy is only for those who are C/C++ proficient, and DSP proficient, and microcontroller proficient. Maybe this small intersection of potential users is why there isn’t more traffic on the forum. It seems like there was more activity, especially about actual projects, back in late 2020.

Hopefully, the Arduino route will help accessibility. But I worry that the guys at E-S are spreading themselves awfully thin, trying to support Arduino, Pure Data, whatever ~gen is, etc. in addition to “regular” C/C++ development. If it were my business, I would focus on making the VScode C environment as easy and bombproof as possible, and let some intrepid CS jocks handle the ports to other, more esoteric languages/environments.

In fact, I would try to “de-class-ify” the libraries as much as possible, rather that “C++ing them up” more than they are now. I wrote my clonewheel project in straight C-style, but I needed enough C++ knowledge to navigate the objects and structs that they use. IMO, the goal should be that even a beginner C-only programmer should be able to do a project using LibDaisy and DaisySP, without any C++ knowledge at all.

Barring this, better documentation (with real comments), tutorials, and instruction videos are needed. I have to say that the example programs do an excellent job of showing how to use the DaisySP effects, get access to controls in LibDaisy, etc. I cut and pasted code snippets from half a dozen Pod and Seed examples for my clonewheel. Without these I would probably still be back where I was two months ago.

1 Like

Glad to hear you have made progress.

The ability to program via gen~ via a tool called Oopsy is what actually put the Daisy platform onto my radar. It allows you to “program” by designing something that’s not too dissimilar from a DSP block diagram.

IMHO, it opens up the Daisy platform persons who can’t or don’t wish to develop in C/C++/Arduino. From what I understand, Oopsy takes the gen~ patches and translates them into C++, which is turn compiled for the Daisy.

Granted the platform/environment that hosts gen~ (Max/MSP from Cycling’74) is not free, but it is a tool that’s popular for all sorts of audio and visual work.

Also AFAIK, the creator of Oopsy is one of the CS jocks and isn’t an employee of Electro-Smith.

I just have to chime in here. If you want to stay in C land, go and join Paul Stoffregen in the Teensy world. They’re happy and successful there. I have to commend Electrosmith on libDaisy and DaisySP. They are moving things in a modern direction in an accessible way. It’s not easy, and there are trade offs, but working on this platform has been a breath of fresh air for me.

I’ve always found C/Arduino/Teensy world to work great until things get big and complicated. It is at that point that everyone designs their projects how they see fit. This forces everyone else who might want to learn from their design, to slog through whatever design conclusions they came to.

Comparing that to the experience I recently had parsing the immaculate Veno-Echo. source code by @adam_f - In a matter of minutes I was able to glean the how’s and why’s of his domain.

Oh yeah, and I can finally us a damn DEBUGGER. You can pry my STLINK-V3MINI from my cold dead hands.

Just kidding, my 0.02€, to each their own.

1 Like

If you want to stay in C land, go and join Paul Stoffregen in the Teensy world. They’re happy and successful there.

I think I will stay, thanks. It took me two months of pain, but I am happy and successful here now. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is probably good advice that others outside of the center of the C++/DSP/Microcontroller Venn diagram go the Arduindo/Teensy route, at least until E-S has some good tutorials covering how to use the LibDaisy and DaisySP objects.

1 Like