Daisy toolchain v0.3.3 trouble on m1 mac os 12.6

Hi all,

I have been trying to get the toolchain v0.3.3 to work for a few days now on a m1 mac, with no luck. I ran the install.command as described in the 1b Wiki and it seemed to have installed everything, but validating the toolchain gives these results,

command not found: arm-none-eabi-gcc
command not found: dfu-util
command not found: openocd

After going through the troubleshooting wiki and searching this forum i found that other users had success installing gcc-arm-none-eabi-10.3-2021.10 manually,
so i did this too, but still running ā€žarm-none-eabi-gcc ā€”versionā€œ results in ā€œcommand not foundā€.

Out of frustration i tried installing the toolchain on an intel mac at work (os 12.5) and it worked like a charm instantly, also first flashing test with a daisy seed worked there too.

Now IĀ“m even more confused and out of ideas what else i could try here on my m1 Mac, since it was so easy to install on the Mac at work.

Iā€™d be really happy for any hints and tips or suggestions where else i could research or what i should try.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Hope you can share some ideas with me.

I donā€™t have an M1 Mac, but my guess is that the tool chain is built for Intel CPU, so youā€™d need to install Rosetta 2 to run the programs on the M1 CPU.

Oh, that would be something obvious from me to miss. Thanks for the tip. Iā€™m pretty sure I have Rosetta installed but Iā€™ll double check now.

Command not found would normally be caused by either incorrect path to a valid executable, or correct path, but not a valid executable. In this case, Iā€™m thinking an Intel program would be invalid, unless the Mac knows to run it using Rosetta.

Or itā€™s something else, of course.

ok. Incorrect path was a great hint. I did more research and found that Homebrew files are installed into the /opt/homebrew folder not usr/local on m1.

I followed this ā€˜Add Homebrew shell configurationā€™

• Add Homebrew to your PATH in ~/.zprofile:
    echo ā€˜eval ā€œ$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)ā€ā€™ >> ~/.zprofile
    eval ā€œ$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)ā€

then I reran the install.command from the toolchain v3.03.3 folder.

Now following the ā€œValidating Toolchainā€ in the Daisy Troubleshoot Wiki
make --version
arm-none-eabi-gcc --version
dfu-util --version
openocd --version

give me the valid tools.

Phew, thanks so much, I think it worked. I canā€™t confirm yet if also flashing via Oopsy works since I left my daisy seed at my work place. Fingers crossed. I will update here if flashing also works.

1 Like

Yes. Flashing now also worked. Awesome.

1 Like