Daisy Seed not recognized in DFU mode

Hello Daisy world!
I bought a batch of three Daisy Seeds (1.2 rev7) and failed to get the working properly.

I set up a toolchain as described in the tutorial on 3 different operating systems:

1. Lenovo T410 running Linux Mint
  2. Lenovo T410 running Windows 10
  3. An old Macbook Pro running High Sierra

On all 3 operating systems I end up with the same problem: When I connect the Daisy Seeds to the computer via USB (tried a bunch of different USB cables, the problem persists) they get recognized and show up as USB devices (e.g. under Linux as “STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port”, under Windows in Zadig as “Daisy Seed Build In”). Also the PWR LED is on and the USER LED is blinking.

But once I bring them into DFU mode by pressing mode and reset (USER LED now switched of, PWR LED still on), they cannot be recognized by the operating systems any more: In LINUX they do not show up at all (lsusb fails to show any entry) and in Windows I get an error message saying that an unknown USB device is connected. Also Zadik shows a strange USB ID “0000 0020”.

Since this problem appears on all 3 operating systems likewise I do not think that it is an issue of the toolchains. Could it be that the Daisy Seeds I bought are all from a faulty badge? Or more likely, am I missing something substantially in setting them up?

Did anybody experience similar problems and found a solution? Or does anybody from Electrosmith have an idea how to proceed?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time! Your help is highly appreciated!
Best, Johannes

Others have reported similar trouble. My guess is it’s a batch problem.

I ordered 5 daisy seeds 1mb - arrived last week. Your post put the worries on me :open_mouth: - I’ve tested them all with arduino blink - all working fine! Just gotta remember - BOOT+RESET - then release RESET then release BOOT

I can list the numbers on the packets if u like - if you think it’s a batch issue?

Fortunately I finally managed to programm the Daisy Seeds: I installed a toolchain on a newer Macbook running MacOS Monterey and there it worked.

However, no success so far using my older computers (Lenovo Thinkpad T410 running either Linux Mint or Windows 10 and a mid 2010 Macbook Pro running MacOS HighSierra). Would be interessting to know though why I could not connect the Daisy Seeds to theese computers in DFU mode. My guess is, that it’s an issue of older USB hardware or drivers.

Maybe that’s also interesting for the folks over at Electrosmith. If you have any experiences about the minimum hardware requirements for communicating to the Daisy Seed via USB it would be highly appreciated if you could share these in the tutorials.

It never occurred to me that your Mac is THAT old! I recently gave away an ‘09 MacBook Pro. It still works great… but I hadn’t tried a Daisy with it. I think I’ll borrow it back, just for curiosity and science.

Update, 5 days later: I just used Web Programmer, on an ‘09 MacBook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6, to flash Blink onto a Rev 7 board. Worked perfectly. It’s still a mystery why the OP was having trouble.