Daisy patch SM?

Hi,

I see some refs about a daisy_patch_sm on the code.
Is there any details about this new hardware ?

Cheers,

Dimitri

Good eye!

We don’t have any public details yet, but expect some exciting news in 1-2 weeks.
:grinning:

1 Like

Okay ! Thx, can’t wait to know more :wink:

Well you can know more by just looking at board files you’ve mentioned, so let’s speculate:

• 8 ADC inputs (Patch had 4), 2 gate outs (Patch had 1)
  • 2 CV outs, 2 gate ins like on Patch
  • same QSPI chip
  • different codec, 2 channels only. not DC coupled, before anyone asks - looks like the codec has a permanent HPF
  • there’s some code for testing SDRAM and it only uses 16 MB, but there’s no difference in SDRAM timings or anything indicating that a smaller chip is used. this probably means that only part of SDRAM gets tested rather than a different chip.
  • no encoder present
  • MIDI UART, SD card and display are not present in BSP at the moment, but the pins that they use are named accordingly. I suppose it’s waiting for some changes to software.
  • comes with S&M themed front panel. oh wait, it doesn’t say that. anyway, looks like it’s a similar approach to what was done for 2HP Loop and doesn’t use Daisy Seed itself, but is close enough to be supported by libDaisy without too much modifications.

Hey ! Thx antisvin :wink:
Didn’t catch the board files were available.
Looks promising … A little sad my patch seems suddenly so old.
But \o/ hey Electro Smith: it’s awesome the development & eco system of the daisy is moving forward !!!
Great news !

It looks like we’re trading 2 extra audio channels and encoder for 4 CV inputs + 1 gate output here. For me the former is generally more useful. So OG Patch is in no way obsolete by this device, but having more options is always welcome.

Besides that, the old AK4556 codec has been unobtainable for a while and it’s in end of life status on manufacturer page. Seems like it’s a solution to that as well.