Custom-built Patch not working correctly

Hi gang,

Short question: is there any issues leaving external codec, midi, SD Card, etc out of a custom-built Daisy Patch? It’s not working as expected.

Long question: I’m building a version of the Daisy Patch on prototyping board because I have many of the components to do so and I’m hoping to make a general purpose DSP module. However, I don’t need/want everything on the base hardware. As I’ve been building, I’ve left the external audio I/O (audio 3 & 4), the SD card, the midi I/O out completely. I’ve also attached the OLED directly to 3V3_D from the Daisy seed rather than running it through a dedicated voltage regulator. I bought a Daisy Seed in the two weeks so it has the new codec chip.

Recently, I’ve soldered everything together and have been testing my module. I loaded a few programs from the Web Programmer and I’ve had a varying success. For example, the SVF works fine, but the “drive” pot doesn’t do anything. Multidelay works, but I only get 100% wet output. Torus seems to work fine, but Nimbus does have any output whatsoever.

I’ve also tried my hand at using Max 8 to load patchers via oopsy. However, nothing I have loaded from Max has worked correctly. There is zero audio output. I’ve tried many of the patchers from the examples folder that came with oopsy and nothing has worked.

So! I’m not asking anyone to debug my stripboard build or anything like that. However, I’m very inexperienced with platforms like Daisy so I don’t know best practices, issues to look for, etc and I don’t know where to look for mistakes. Is there any problem with the fact that I have left off a I/O 3 and 4, SD Card, Midi etc? Is there anything I need to do to compensate for using the newer Daisy See hardware?

I appreciate everyone’s support. I’m coming from a background of building analog eurorack modules and I’m excited to dive in.

I’m not an hardware expert, and perhaps it’s a trivial suggestion, but you can program a “basic” firmware with the only purpose of testing each I/O.
Foe example read the values of

• hw.encoder.Pressed();
  • hw.encoder.RisingEdge();
  • hw.encoder.Increment();

And print the output on the OLED. If something is wrong perhaps you can run it with the debugger and see what is happening at the low level read/write instructions.

If it helps I made a patch that can be used to test the hardware: PatchSkeleton

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate the help. I’ve been fiddling around with my build and I think I narrowed down some of the issues. I’ll see if I can give this a go.