Creating new VS Code project using libDaisy/DaisyDSP

I would like to create a new VS Code project for the Versio. I could do it in a brute-force fashion by copying the Decimator sample program and then going through all the project files changing the names of things, but is there a more elegant way to do it? Is there a way to create a new C solution in VS Code?

I have Visual Studio Community Edition installed as well as VS Code, but haven’t yet tried opening a Daily solution in it, and I’d prefer to use VS Code. Would be be easier/recommended to create the new solution in VS and then use it in VS Code?

(For context: I used to use Visual Studio on a daily basis in the 90’s and early 2000’s for C/C++/C# in my work life, but my work shifted to Python and Java using IntelliJ IDEA a long time ago, so I’m pretty rusty with the MS toolchain, which is a different beast now than what I had become accustomed to. I’m successfully building/running/debugging Daily example code in VS Code right now, but I’m seeking the recommended way to create new projects.)

We will be adding a wiki page about this very soon, as well as working on a video guide.

I’ve briefly outlined the process in this thread.

The Visual Studio projects for daisy are set up using the VisualGDB extension which is a paid product. However, they do offer a 14-day free trial. On the contrary, VS Code workflow is totally free.

The helper script I describe copies/renames/updates all of the files for both VS Code and VisualStudio.

The easiest way to start a new, blank project is to run:

python helper.py create seed/MyNewProject

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Perfect, Stephen, thanks! I will give this a try.

1 Like