Cassetta-digital tape delay tutorial

I am currently finishing my studies on Sound and Music Computing Aalborg University of Copenhagen and I am so excited with Daisy platform since it’s a very useful tool for me! I played a lot with Daisy Seed between March-May 2021 and I have created a tutorial on how to make your own realtime dsp effect on Max/Gen~ embedded on Electrosmith Daisy Seed platform. I tried to make it as clear as I could and it is mostly based on my experience with this platform. Enjoy!

7 Likes

Great project, Archelaos! Nice to see that pitch-shifting works well through Oopsy. I’ve been struggling to figure out a better pitch shifting option beyond the DaisySP effect - which has more aliasing than I would like.

I’ll have to try working with MAX and Graham’s patch on the cycling ’74 forum. Thanks for sharing your project!

1 Like

I’m new to all this. A Patch.(init) I ordered came in the mail last week. I jumped off with this project to get me going. I made a delay based off of this, that so far seems solid and useful on the patch.(init) (using max, gen~, oopsy).

I added some different random LFO shenanigans for modulating the delay time.

I also added clock/gate_in/tap tempo control (based off of the Rebel Technologies Delay tempo synch tutorial OWL Max Tutorial 3: Tempo Sync Delay – Rebel Technology ).

Also a clock out from derived from the final delay frequency. That clock out is currently tapped after the random LFO modulation so turning up the random stuff, it can be used to make a clock with some controllable randomization.

I also have the delay clock going to the LED on the patch.(init) for visual feedback.

The four knobs on the patch.(init) are the same for the most part
1 - delay time (when clocked it controls a division of the clocked tempo)
2 - tone
3 - feedback/stereo adjustment (in stereo mode)
4 - mix

cv5 - nothing yet
cv6 - an offset control for the channel 2 delay time
cv7 - random mod amount
cv8 - random mod speed control
Gate in 1 - clock in
B7 - tap tempo button going to the same place in the patch as the gate1 clock in. (only sort of useful though because I have the patch time out after about 10 sec of not receiving a clock/tap tempo and switch to the manual knob 1 tempo control, same as your patch)
B8 - switches modes between dual mono and a grittier stereo cross talk ping pong mode (fully ping pong if the feedback knob is fully clockwise, gradually less cross feedback with lower feedback)
Gate out 1 - clock out of the delay frequency

Being new to all this stuff I’m not sure on etiquette in this world. I’m happy to share the patch just not sure the most respectful way of doing it. If it’s cool to share I would welcome advice on how to implement what I did smarter or cleaner. I faked my way through not being a math wizard. That said what I made will be super useful in my eurorack patches and music. Can be super useful as a delay. But also for a low-fi effect at settings fully wet with very short delay settings (or nice chorusing effect with some dry signal). Also great for sound design when modulating things more extremely (creating totally mushy distorted grooves).

Let me know if you’d be OK with me sharing on here. I could theoretically use GitHub (I think). If I’m honest, I don’t fully understand Github, or how it works but from what I’ve seen, it seems to be a common way to share stuff like this.

I hadn’t come across an oopsy patchers fully set up for the patch.(init) when looking. I feel like any newbs like me could find it useful to have one available on line that is already mostly set up for it. Again I’d be open to anyone that could improve on what I’ve done also. Because I don’t really know what I’m doing, I’m sure there’s smarter ways to do some of my changes/additions (especially for the janky make shift scaling I did to make the randomization settings “musical” within the range of control/modulation.

3 Likes

Hey Grummy, thanks for checking my patch and welcome to Daisy’s world! I think you have implemented cool features for your patch. I really like the ping pong idea in the way you connected it with the feedback knob. My initial purpose of this thread was to describe as simple as possible what’s going on under the delay’s hood, so you can implement your own patch further. I believe since you can use the patch for making music which you enjoy, then all good, you do not have to be math wizard with Daisy, I guess that’s the point here! And…for me it’s ok sharing your code here so more people can be inspired by your work, but it’s really up to you :upside_down_face:

Getting inpired by few people who tried out and read my work, I have updated the documentation of Cassetta project and the Max/Gen~ patch to my most recent work.

6 Likes

Hello Grummy,

sounds like a great addition to the patch. Did you share the file somewhere? Also the original link seems dead. Would be happy zo hear from you. Best :blush:

I got:
We couldn’t find the page you were looking for. This is either because:

There is an error in the URL entered into your web browser. Please check the URL and try again.
The page you are looking for has been moved or deleted.

when I clicked on the link above:
https://bluefxdevices.com/blog/cassetta

1 Like

Hi, I’m lookin for the additional patch from Grummy. Maybe someone has this stored and is willing to share :blush:

The link no longer leads anywhere. Will you share again in the future?