"Campestria Versio" - VCV Rack's Plateau for NE Versio Hardware Eurorack

This is the Desmodus Versio, one of many in the Noise Engineering Versio Product line.

Backstory:

I started a company recently where I’d like to design some digital Eurorack modules, but I have no experience at all programming microcontrollers. I’ve coded a prototype for my first module in VCV Rack, designed the schematics and PCBs, but bringing that code into the real world with the Teensy 4.0 was beyond me.

That was until I got the Desmodus Versio. When I got the Desmodus Versio, I immediately disliked the character of the reverb. I know a lot of people really like it though! However, I adored the platform and build quality too much to get rid of it. I noticed that there was a daisy seed on the back and found this thriving community around it. I also knew that my favorite reverb ever was Valley’s Plateau in VCV Rack.

Anyway, during my time coding prototypes in VCV Rack I learned the code structure there. So I immediately started porting the code to the Versio line of products. I’ve spent the last couple weeks porting it and it’s basically finished at this point. To top all that off I now know a lot more about how to code for microprocessors. It’s pretty much a 1:1 faithful copy of Dale Johnson’s, of Valley Audio, implementation of the Dattorro algorithm, the reverb Plateau is based off of. If you’ve got a Noise Engineering Versio then you can get the .bin file here:

Version 1.2 & Version 1.21:

There are instructions to program the Versio here and details on all the controls. If you encounter any bugs, please let me know.

Version 1.21 changes slightly how the diffusion control and pre delay control behaves and this is covered on the GitHub page and at the end of the video below. Both 1.2 and 1.21 are in the same release page because some may prefer the old diffusion control in certain use cases.

At the beginning and end of the video there are no talking demo sections. The beginning of the video has a small patch inspired by Ryoji Ikeda and the end of the video is just me fiddling around.

Demo Track:

Video Demo and Tutorial:

I’ve detailed a lot of the journey in developing this firmware port in these places:

https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=282590

Important:
I could only get persistent memory working for one variable, the gain mode setting, trying to add more than one variable to the persistent memory would result in a HAL_ERROR and a couple of my daisy seed registers would display infinity, corrupt. If anyone could help me implement that, that would be really nice. As of now I believe my daisy seed is broken, but it could definitely be just user error.

With all that said, check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing the firmware and also creating an in-depth documentation!!
It’s been great seeing your journey porting it and hearing it in action.

The reverb itself sounds really colorful and versatile! The distortion is killer too. It was really meant to be brought into the physical world.

I hope Versio owners enjoy using it!