Axoloti

Somebody should port the Axoloti firmware to Daisy Seed.

7 Likes

Would love for this to be a thing!

1 Like

That would be great indeed, to have a micro Axoloti option!
And it isn’t bad either to have an extra hardware option for when the original Axoloti is out of stock.

That might also give some push to the Axoloti 2.0 usage/development, as it will be way easier to port Axoloti 2.0 to the STM32H7 than 1.0.12.

Axoloti 2.0 is not completely stable nor fully compatible, but adds a lot of improvements and new possibilities.

Axoloti 1.0.12 has already been ported to STM32H7, but that was done by somebody who has his own plans for an Axoloti replacement, more announcements expected soon. But I doubt his board will be as affordable as Daisy Seed.

Why would 2.0 be easier to port to STM32H7?

1 Like

1.0.12 is using an old ChibiOS release, 2.6.9, which doesn’t support the stm32h7 line yet. The ChibiOS 3.0 broke a lot of small things (for the best), so extra effort is needed to port 1.0.12 to a recent ChibiOS. I think that effort is better put in improving version 2.0. I think the main issue is compatibility with 1.0.12 patches and objects.

But maybe the Akso firmware is easier to port, I guess Nicolas already did the port to a recent ChibiOS then.

1 Like

https://zrna.org/akso

Would really be great to be able to use the Axoloti/Akso patcher with daisy for small dedicated embedded applications. I don’t have time to learn how to code and the visual patcher is far more accessible letting me focus on small projects in my limited time for DIY. I’m sure there are plenty more out there like me!

That said the full Akso board looks great and I am v much looking forward to getting my hands on one sooner rather than later.

4 Likes

I would like to revive this thread for interest. Speaking as someone who began my DIY DSP adventure with the Axoloti. Before I had one, I knew how synths worked from the user perspective, but it gave an incredibly fluid approach to how they’re structured.

Even more, the code for each object is accessible immediately, editable, and most important for me at the time (as an intimidated beginner), completely obscured by the interface until I was prepared to try learning it.

Just wanted to put this out there because the axoloti is a superb platform and it would be great to see it put to use. It’s the reason my house is full of electronics components now, and aptly, led me to discover Daisy.

1 Like

Axoloti certainly is-was a nice dsp-music learning environment, but to paraphrase General Ripper, I fear that the odds against it being ported are rapidly being reduced to a very low order of probability. I personally am working on Zynia, which is (probably) a Raspberry Pi cluster version of Zynthian. Zynthian is a RPi based open source synthesizer:

If you don’t want to switch the base from Daisy, you might be interested in StaffanMelin’s DStudio, it provides a somewhat similar environment to Axoloti:

1 Like

Zynthian is a very cool platform indeed. Very nice people over at their forum as well, and very helpful. I did not know about DStudio, will look into it thanks!

As of now DStudio doesn’t have any GUI, it is just a collection of classes. But my goal is to build something over the summer. It is meant to be used on laptops etc, not microcontrollers. Right now I am trying it out on a SBC (a Rock Pi 4). The manual is quite extensive so download the package and see if it can be useful in any way! :slight_smile:

Wow three things I have been interested in, over the years :smiley:

The axoloti I got years ago, even got Jan’s ebook, and the custom controller board for it. Still in a ‘projects drawer’ awaiting the time and inclination to use it.

The zynthian interest was sparked by Floyd Steinberg’s YouTube videos which made it look like a cool idea. Haven’t dropped the hammer on it as stock issues and the price have put me off.

Dstudio I just a few minutes ago watched a YouTube video and I checked if there was a product or listing for it.

And I’m in a Daisy forum :smiley: :sweat_smile:

I realize you could be talking about the price and shortage issues with Raspberry Pi itself. But I want to point out that you do not need to buy a Zynthian kit to have a Zynthian - if you have a Raspberry Pi 3 or 4, and pretty much any sound card or interface (USB, I2S, SPI, whatever), or even in a pinch RPi’s built in, but not high quality, audio, you should be able to get Zynthian running on it.

Zynthian V4 kit is out of stock at the moment, and there are no plans to restock it, because V5 is expected, hopefully by June 2023.

Thanks for the response!
Yes I am referring to the rpi stock issues, which has prevented me from building the Game Boy kit that ETA Prime made a video about :wink:
Kinda of lazy here–wanted a complete zynthian kit, assembled if possible. Even my MiSTer I got already put together. That was pretty pricey as well.
How do you like using your zynthian?

I like it very very much, it has become my favorite ‘Go To’ synth, particularly since ZynSeq was added in the last stable release. There are almost too many possibilities with all the different engines available. And it ‘plays well with others’.

Fortunately I got a couple of RPis before the Great Shortage.
Take this with the standard ‘grain of salt’, the Raspberry Pi Foundation said in their blog:

For a variety of reasons, we leave 2022 with much better visibility of our future silicon supply chain than we entered with. As a result, we can say with confidence that, after a lean first quarter, we expect supply to recover to pre-pandemic levels in the second quarter of 2023, and to be unlimited in the second half of the year.

So, just another 3 months till an ‘unlimited’ supply!

1 Like

Cool! Can’t wait for The Foundation to get back in business :wink:
I’ve used a Pi400 as the foundation for running PiMIGA, a Chris Edwards creation which is a blast for us Amiga Oldtimers.
And I have a SERIOUS temptaion for you, so you’ve been warned. Don’t look:

https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta2/

I watched the Synthdad video on it and instantly wanted it. Fortunately there are stock issues so my credit card can breathe a sigh of relief. By the way you can call me Ben, and I see your name is Leonard, nice to meet you. :wave:

1 Like