Assign knob to multiple parameters

Hello .
I’m trying to build a multi-effects patch with pod. I’m using select and spigot to navigate and tweak through the different parameters…so the same knob is assigned to different parameters.

I’m seeking guidance on how to ensure that parameter values are updated only when the knobs are adjusted.

Whenever I switch effects, the values/numbers from the previous effect transition to the new one, causing unintended jumps. I’ve attempted to work with float and change objects, but I’ve encountered repetitive operations that haven’t effectively addressed the problem.

Thank you

Welcome @yyyy!

I would be happy to have a closer look.
Could you start a new separate thread/topic for this with the Pure Data tag? I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!!

1 Like

As an admin you can split a topic by selecting several posts.
I now did it for you, and we can continue the conversation here. :slight_smile:

@yyyy In the future can you share your screenshoft without object numbering (or just edit mode turned off) so that we can better read what’s written in all the objects? Thank you.

2 Likes

Using [change] is definitely the move, but I’m guessing you’re not liking the “jump” of value that happens.
For example, let’s say you set parameter A to 0.6 with the knob and then switch to parameter B and set the knob to 0.9. Once you got back to parameter A, [change] should prevent parameter A from becoming 0.9, but as soon as you move the knob, parameter A will jump from 0.6 to 0.9.

I guess you can use [line] to mitigate/smooth this jump.
It’s the physical limitation of conventional potentiometer that you have to work with. That said, others may have a solution!

Thanks for your reply @Takumi_Ogata and for the information @dreamer

The problem I’m having is that, following your example, when I move back to parameter A it assumes parameter B’s values before moving the knob.

Looking at the image above, where should I put change, after or before the spigot or somewhere else? I’ve tried both options without any changes.

Unlike pd, It seems that pod is constantly sending/receiving numbers.

Thanks

Unlike the slider object that you have in the patch, the knob will constantly output its current value.

You can use something like this to roughly emulate it.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 2.33.13 PM

Though with the potentiometer in the real world, the value could be changing ever so slightly constantly so the [change] object may not be helping. You could smooth out the sensor data so that it’s steady. That should help the [change] object to do its job.

I made a video on this a while back and the data smoothing patches can be downloaded from the description (I think they’re made out of hvcc supported objects). Go really hard on the smoothing parameter (which will add more latency) to test first. And then from there, start adjusting it to get the good enough balance between data smoothing and latency.

I hope this helps! I would love to investigate further when I have time, but this should get you in the right direction for now.

Edit: If you want to see this sensor value and troubleshoot in real-time, you could set up DaisyDuino and use serial print to send the sensor data to Pure Data on your Desktop. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your time. @Takumi_Ogata

I’ll check your tutorial and let you updated.
The knob emulation and DaisyDuino will be quite useful.

1 Like