Add more CV input/outputs to Patch?

Hi all,

I just got my Daisy Patch and I’m starting to brainstorm what I want to do with it. Looking at perhaps porting some other open source eurorack modules to the Daisy.

One thing that I’m hitting is that the Patch is a bit short on CV inputs/outputs (and gates/triggers).

I’m wondering if it would be possible to expand the patch with some more ports. I know that the headers on the patch have more female headers for expanding. But I’m having a hard time seeing any free pins that could be used. If there were, I’d be looking at finding an IO expander chip and address it via SPI or I2C. I’m kind of a noob here so this would be a big project for me.

Are there any pointers/examples/advice here? Has anyone done anything to expand the various daisy systems using those extra female headers?

Thank you!

Those “extra” headers are just parallel connections to Daisy pins. You could use it to replace some of the module’s peripherals, but that means that you’ll be loosing some of its functionality. IIRC, every pin on Daisy was used for something on Patch.

If you want to control more parameters without sacrificing anything, you should probably consider using MIDI.

If there was a button, you could make a page system, where you can push one button, to switch between page 1 and page 2, ehich would give you twice as many pots.

Does the encoder have a push function?

If I try and use those pins will the existing connections interfere?

It looks like the MIDI pins can also be used for I2C so that is a possibility. Those are all passive components so likely there won’t be any interference from them as long as there is nothing plugged into those jacks.

Hi @Jaffasplaffa – not looking for more pots, really but instead looking for more 3.5mm inputs and outputs that are DC coupled for CV (and gate/trigger).

Ah yes, sorry… :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Yes, you can use the encoder and push button to switch functionality, I plan on doing this for my Daisy Path granular synth/sample player/cloud reverb.

2 Likes

Could you just bypass the dc filtering caps on the daisy patch? I’m not sure if making something DC coupled is as simple as that. Or maybe they are on the daisy seed itself?

Hi @jbeda ,

I am currently creating a custom piece of hardware for a EuroRack setup. What I am looking at is creating more Gate/CV outputs by using this chip in my design:

DAC7578SPWR
Datasheet

Please take this suggestion with caution as I am only in the early phases of board layout.

Thanks,
Brett

If I’m not mistaken, that’s a very expensive part. Is the expense justified?

If your looking for Multi-Channel DAC, consider the MAX11300. I have a driver in the works for libDaisy.:

The device has 20 channels which can be freely assigned as DAC, ADC, GPI or GPO - All at Eurorack voltage levels.

3 Likes

O my yes this is a wonderful idea

On a related note, what do we think the best solution would be to get 16 channels of 48k 16bit audio into a Daisy, and could it even handle such a stream? I don’t really know what the real time I/O limits are but my brain says “build a multichannel mixer”.

SWEET! I’ll check it out right now. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the info, this is great.