Plugdata - new PD environment that can flash straight to Daisy

It’s a missing symbol in a system library dynamically loaded by make. Testing this ‘make’ on its own, it appears this problem only occurs when make is called with the ‘-j’ option to run parallel jobs.

My workaround is to replace it with a dynamic link to /usr/bin/make, though I can’t be certain where this make actually came from.

This is a 2015 MacBook Pro, with OS and Xcode upgrades over the years.
Sure, it would be simple (though costly) to get a new(er) MacBook - but this one still serves my needs beautifully.

--> Generating Daisy module
Total compile time: 376.25ms
Compiling.../Users/robert/Library/plugdata/Toolchain/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc -c -mcpu=cortex-m7 -mthumb -mfpu=fpv5-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_HAL_DRIVER -DSTM32H750xx -DHSE_VALUE=16000000  -DCORE_CM7 -DSTM32H750IB -DARM_MATH_CM7 -DUSE_FULL_LL_DRIVER -include stm32h7xx.h -I../../libDaisy -I../../libDaisy/src/ -I../../libDaisy/src/sys -I../../libDaisy/src/usbd -I../../libDaisy/src/usbh -I../../libDaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/ -I../../libDaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/DSP/Include -I../../libDaisy/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32H7xx/Include -I../../libDaisy/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Inc/ -I../../libDaisy/Middlewares/ST/STM32_USB_Device_Library/Core/Inc -I../../libDaisy/Middlewares/ST/STM32_USB_Host_Library/Core/Inc -I../../libDaisy/Middlewares/ST/STM32_USB_Host_Library/Class/MSC/Inc -I../../libDaisy/core/ -I../../libDaisy/Middlewares/Third_Party/FatFs/src -O2 -Wall -Wno-missing-attributes -fasm -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -Wno-stringop-overflow -g -ggdb -MMD -MP -MF"build/startup_stm32h750xx.d" -std=gnu11 -Wa,-a,-ad,-alms=build/startup_stm32h750xx.lst ../../libDaisy/core/startup_stm32h750xx.c -o build/startup_stm32h750xx.o
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ___darwin_check_fd_set_overflow
  Referenced from: /Users/robert/Library/plugdata/Toolchain/bin/make (which was built for Mac OS X 12.0)
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: ___darwin_check_fd_set_overflow
  Referenced from: /Users/robert/Library/plugdata/Toolchain/bin/make (which was built for Mac OS X 12.0)
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

/Users/robert/Library/Caches/plugdata/temp_c162b607.sh: line 2: 13862 Abort trap: 6           /Users/robert/Library/plugdata/Toolchain/bin/make -j4 -f /Users/robert/Documents/plugdata/junk/daisy/source/Makefile GCC_PATH=/Users/robert/Library/plugdata/Toolchain/bin PROJECT_NAME=RF_tone

Thnx, we had another user in the Discord today with the same issue. Basically the toolchain binaries are not compatible with this version of MacOS. We’ll try to look for a solution, but no guarantees :wink:

In my case, the build works when I replace make - so my (tentative) conclusion is that the other binaries are compatible.

Hi, I just got the Daisy Patch eurorack module and have been trying flash it with a simple patch I have made in Plugdata (knob1 changes the frequency of an oscillator…exciting). When I select the patch target board, it compiles and uploads, but nothing works. When I select Patch init target board it sort of works, but the audio is coming out of OUT 2 and the knob that is controlling the frequency is CTRL 2. This leads me to believe that the JSON that describes the Patch is not describing the Patch device I have.

The JSON in json2daisy appears to match the pinouts of the Patch in the Hardware repository( though they are off by 1. I can program this with device successfully with the web programmer and the examples, so I think the hardware is OK.

Is there a JSON file I should be using that describes my hardware? Is there something else going on? Thanks!

We are using json2daisy (which is a dependency of hvcc) directly, so this should match.

You can see this in Toolchain/bin/Heavy/json2daisy/resources/patch.json

The JSON files do match. I have the same results when I use pd2dsy with my test file and the patch_test.pd example. I believe I am experiencing the same thing as this person. I will check the Discord to see if someone has a solution too.

I just played around with this for the first time last night, I’m really blown away!

Thanks for the incredible work, as a long time PD (and previously, Max) user I really can’t believe how far this project has come so quickly. The GUI is so comfortable!

I flashed a simple test patch to my daisy patch with no problems at all, it was a really exciting experience. (FWIW I’m working from linux via the arch package – also kudos to the plugdata team for going as far as creating a special pacman repo for the package!)

I’m so excited to use this for prototyping ideas with daisy. Thank you for this!

4 Likes

Oh, sorry, yes! Flashing directly to Daisy!

I miss Axoloti, too, and it will be a while before we get the compilable library up to Axoloti standards of abstraction, but it’s happening! There are already a ton of filters, for instance.

In my case, the version of make included in plugdata wouldn’t work on my old Mac OS, as I wrote above.

So, I bought a new M1 MacBook Air, which I haven’t unboxed yet. But, since I’m working on Eurorack, I want to use STLINK, but plugdata doesn’t do that.

Actually, the latest toolchain for the upcoming 0.7.0 release has a fix for MacOS 10.4 builds. This will hopefully help to keep old hardware alive!

Cross platform stlink support is definitely wanted! I’ve only played with stlink once myself and it’s definitely so much smoother experience than setting boot-loader mode every time!

We will look at adding that in a future update.

2 Likes

Wow, this is really awesome. It’s working great for me on OS 12.1 (wouldn’t run on OS 10.13 though). Thanks to everyone who’s worked on this

1 Like

Plugdata is the ‘bees knees’ (that’s a good thing)

Takumi’s videos on his own channel got me re-interested in pd, but he’s using a mac which makes pd look less hideous. Plugdata makes using pd much easier on the aesthetic sensibilities :sweat_smile:. Plus it is very useful and intuitive.

2 Likes

I’ve been prototyping a bit with stlink. The problem is that it doesn’t work with ROM or RAM optimized builds, which makes it only useful for very small programs.
So I’m not sure if this really is much of an improvement, since for any serious work (where stlink becomes really useful) you will want to have these size optimized builds … for which you can’t use stlink >_<

1 Like

First off, the much needed facelift that you’ve given to PD is amazing. Hats off to everyone involved.

Daisy implementation question: Is there any way to access the SD card for sample or data storage (maybe wavetables or patterns) ?

1. Thnx!

2. Not yet. Things like the oled and sd-card access don’t have any design or implementation, but they surely are on the wishlist already.

2 Likes

I have the Problem, that Midi-In-Information is not working with a very Simple PD-Patch on my Daisy-Pod using a notein, mtof and an osc~.
Is there anything special to be included or to be put into the pd-patch to get the Midi-Information of the TRS-Midiinput of the Pod?

That is to be expected since MIDI i/o is not supported for Daisy just yet.

Oh, good to know that it was not a fault of the installatin or setting. thank you for the quick answer.

MIDI i/o is a still a work in progress. It needs a lot more feedback from the team before getting to a generally usable state.

And we now have the plugdata v0.8.0 pre-release, which includes basic MIDI support!

We have also matched up the toolchain to use the correct version of GCC which should resolve some of the odd issues that have been reported lately.

Please test it so we can fix any remaining bugs that may have been missed :wink:

2 Likes