OWLsy - a port of OpenWare to Daisy platform

Ok I tried using the new codec and sadly it didn’t seem to work (the screen worked fine though!). Here are the changes I made:

In hardware.h:
-comment out line 86
-include line 87 and line 88

In Makefile:
-Comment out line 16
-include line 38

Everything boots fine, I’m able to load patches from Rebeltech, but no audio out. Additionally, the knobs do not seem to have any effect, I’m not able to change any parameters, so I get the impression that something else beside the audio is not working correctly. If you’d like to have me try any other fixes, I’d be happy to, though I’m sure these types of fixes are easier when you have the hardware in front of you.

Thanks for giving it a try. I’ve noticed that it was configured for mono audio as that’s how it was used on another device. Just fixed it to use stereo. Besides that, you must comment out #define DUAL_CODEC in device.h in case if that wasn’t the case yet. If neither of the above helps, we’ll have to wait for a few months till I can troubleshoot this on device.

I did not have DUAL_CODEC commented out, but still not working. I got an error code “I2C Transmit Failure”. So I’ll just leave it to you for when you get the device in hand. Thanks for taking the time!

All this developpement looks very interesting. I would love a port to raw Daisy Seed platform, with quick fix stubs for missing features wrt Patch.

Moonfriend make great efforts to get this up and running on a DIY platform !

1 Like

Sure, that’s possible. I didn’t bother with setting up a project for raw Seed as I don’t have a need for something like that. But you could create a new project with extra stuff removed/disabled to get something that is only controllable as USB MIDI device.

Hi,
I wrote a message into different thread, but probably this is the right one.

Please see below for the solution I’m looking for.

Where I could find he and see requirements for your project?

Many thanks
Domenico

Hi All,
It would be for me very useful to use Daisy as audio and MIDI device (interface) to be connected to iPad, for example.

Let me share the idea. The iPad (USB host) run SW plugin (AUv3 synth for example), a Sync signal (clock for a drummer) and Midi processing function.

So, this would need 2 output audio channels, first as main, second used just to provide beat signal.
Second input audio channel could be just mixed with USB audio bus.

For MIDI it would be useful to have two ports, the first tied to a secondary USB and second one tied to classic 5 pin MIDI Port.

Would it be possible?
Has someone tried to do something similar solution?

Thanks
Domenico

That wasn’t the right thread as it was reserved for announcements, I’ve moved it here instead.

You can’t use Daisy Seed to output DC signal from the audio codec (its AC coupled for inputs and outputs), but this is possible with patch SM (only for outputs). I’m actually waiting for patch.Init to arrive and will add support for that board once that happens.

Patch.Init doesn’t have serial MIDI, but you might be able to adapt its project to your own needs if you’re familiar with CubeMX and are comfortable working with C++ code.

Previous firmware releases were made for Daisy Patch and KXMX Blumchen, but only older version of Daisy Seed is supported.

Thanks for fast feedback.

I would need to better understand some details of your reply. Probably I’ll do some wrong assumption or consideration due to lack of full understanding of whole contest, so please apologize me.

I assume Daisy is a sort of sound engine, so it’s able to generate a sw waveform and then streaming via DAC on audio output. The frequency range of analog converted signal is ideally 20Hz-20kHz, relatively high frequency compared to DC signals. So AC coupled should be fine.

In my use case, the sound engine is the iPad, which will have to transfer the sw waveform as streaming via serial USB interface to Daisy and from there to the DAC. The frequency range so it’s as above, so AC should be fine too?

Sorry for the long message, but I hope the points are clear.

Thanks for your attention,
Domenico

Not really. Daisy is hardware - a high performance MCU + audio codec + audio codec + QSPI Flash chip. Software side is up to you - you can use official libDaisy, my OWL port or try something else based on STM32 libraries.

You can send AC signal over DC coupled output by definition, but not the other way around. And from your message above you wanted to send clock which is DC signal, right? So if you were to use Daisy Seed, it would pass through a high pass filter, this would block part of DC spectrum although a bipolar signal might be usable for clock in some cases (depends on clock multiplier that you want to use).

Thanks a lot for your attention.

You’re right, for sound engine I was assuming that a program has to use hw/sw resources to generate audio waveform.

Also, for “clock”, my description want not so clear, I was referring still to audio signal which provides synch pattern to the drummer.

Actually, the use case is to develop an audio/MIDI interface (class compliant) with two separate port, both in USB and as analog connector. Mixing other analog inputs just at board level could be an improvement.

According to you, is it feasible? Which is the right way to proceed? I was thinking trying PATCH SUBMODULE?

Thanks a lot
Domenico

Hello-
I am having an issue with OWLsy that I didn’t see described above. I have the Daisy Patch eurorack module. I am able to install the bootloader and firmware, but when I load a patch I hear no sound. Here are the steps I am following:

I am uploading the bootloader via the Daisy Web Programmer found here:
https://electro-smith.github.io/Programmer/

Using the boot code from here:
https://github.com/antisvin/OpenWare_Owlsy/releases/download/owlsy-v24.0.0/MidiBoot-DaisyPatch-v0.3.bin

Then I close that and upload the firmware via the OpenWareLaboratory firmware tool found here:
https://www.openwarelab.org/Tools/firmware.html

Using this version of the firmware:
https://github.com/antisvin/OpenWare_Owlsy/releases/download/owlsy-v24.1.0/DaisyPatch-v24.1.syx

When I do I get the OWLsy screen and I am able to page through the set-up using the encoder, etc.

When I connect to the device here:

I can see what patches are loaded, etc.

I am uploading patches through the Rebel Technology Website
The patches I have tried so far are:

and a bunch of others, all with the same result, no sound.

I have a gate trigger input connected in 1, audio in 1, CV in A, and audio out 1.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!

If you have the newer Daisy Seed revision with WM8731 codec instead of AK4556, it’s not supported yet. Actually I have a few of them coming my way, if they arrive safely I’ll likely make a release that adds support for them in a few weeks.

As a temporary workaround, I have a firmware build that only uses the external codec on Daisy Patch board, meaning that you will get only audio through channels 3 & 4 - https://github.com/antisvin/OpenWare_Owlsy/releases/download/owlsy-v24.2.0/DaisyPatch-external-codec-only.syx

Thank you @antisvin for the quick reply, the workaround patch works for me as you described! This is a big help to my work- and thank you for creating OWLsy - it is a huge contribution to the universe of Daisy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds too serious :wink: What are you using it for?

maybe not so serious - I am just exploring different workflows for FAUST to Daisy. But also excited about the OWL community meeting the Daisy community as well…

Thank you Antisvin for your temporary workaround about the new codec, I own two Patch modules working now with the Owl library.

Best

Antonio

1 Like

@Antonio (and others), the wait is over and the new codec should be functional

1 Like

Great work! the update is working here

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Hi @antisvin,

I had a chance to try OWLsy on my Bluemchen this weekend. I got MidiBoot on there and could send the firmware sysex, and even load some patches from the rebeltech site, all whilst plugged into USB. Good stuff!

Now it’s in my rack I’m trying to control a few things via MIDI and I have a couple of questions:

If my reading of Bluemchen/Inc/hardware.h, Bluemchen/Inc/BluemchenParameterController.hpp and Source/ProgramManager.cpp is correct, it looks like MIDI can’t set first four parameters. Is my understanding correct?

If I wanted to add a menu item to set the MIDI channel, would Bluemchen/Inc/BluemchenParameterController.hpp be the place to do it?

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this. I think you’re describing it correctly and it looks like it should be blocking only 2 parameters from MIDI update rather than all 4. I mean that they come from 4 ADC inputs that get summed into 2 parameters as far as I remember.

The good news is that I have a solution ported from more recent OWL that lets you implement parameter takeover. The way it works is that updating a parameter by MIDI prevents it from being updated from ADC inputs unless you move the parameter close enough to the value set by MIDI to unlock it. It’s already used for Pod UI that also relies on this for its parameter multiplexing, so I don’t see why it shouldn’t be added to other projects. I can start from the Bluemchen project and let you know when it’s ready before the FW is released if you’d like to test earlier.

Regarding MIDI channel selection, you’re correct about UI file where menus are defined. Or you could use the official tool to change it. Under “Settings / Set configuration” enter values “MI” and your channel number. I think in 0…15 range, but might be 1…16. With -1 it would set it to the default omni mode. Then press “Send” and also “Store” if you want to change it permanently. If that won’t work, you could build a custom firmware with something like #define MIDI_INPUT_CHANNEL N" in Bluemchen/Inc/hardware.h` file to override the default value.