I2c coms and oopsy

lets say I write a program in gen~ that I like but want to add outside controls that get fed from a teensy or arduino via i2c or even serial. Where would I begin poking around, I’m guessing that I would need to add code manually to the files that oopsy generates. Sorry if these sounds dumb I’m only brainstorming at this point but am thinking about creating hardware specific to the gen~ program created rather than using patch or pedal, etc.

Hi Yan6,

See the thread over at Oopsy & Daisy Seed : hardware mapping – custom Seed-based platforms are in the roadmap but not quite ready yet.

Graham

1 Like

@grrrwaaa how should I go about linking Teletype with Daisy Patch via I2C? Is using JSON file still the case? What is the best practice atm? Ideally, I would like to use Daisy as voice and send CV and triggers via i2c from Teletype. I have found these commands already implemented in Teletype so I am thinking of using the same ones. What would be the best approach for this?
Also, am i right in thinking that I could have more controls than that 4 cv and 2 gate inputs on the panel being sent via i2c? For example 4 triggers triggering 4x drum voices running in Daisy Patch?

Any tips really appreciated! Thanks!

I’m not sure that the Daisy Patch itself can support I2C – I seem to remember @shensley telling me that those pins were used for another purpose on the Patch hardware. Hopefully someone can chime into to confirm this either way.

1 Like

@koshimazaki Many of the pins on the Daisy can be used for I2C. However, all of the available GPIO are used for various things on the Daisy Patch.

The most commonly used I2C (I2C1) pins are used for the encoder. So it would be possible to connect I2C to those pins without any real issues. However, turning the encoder would cause some invalid activity on the bus. You would also have to add external pull up resistors to +3v3 for the I2C bus to work. But it is possible if you’re okay with it replacing the encoder.

1 Like

Thanks @shensley @grrrwaaa tbh I don’t mind losing the encoder for few more parameters. Would i2c allow me to send more CV then the four that are on the panel? I would have only Teletype and expander in the chain. For now, i assume Oopsy doesnt support it yet tho?

Also, @grrrwaaa would you mind sharing your application from the demo where you change the apps via MIDI? I wonder which object i need to send MIDI to to change the app? Or is it done globally via MIDI input. It doesnt seem to work for me atm. I was thinking of converting one of the gate ins to send program change would it be possible from oopsy itself? Many thanks!

It’s in the oopsy examples folder, multi_app.maxpat

It’s done globally via MIDI input.

1 Like