Having trouble setting up the C++ Environment on new iMac M1

I’m attempting to follow Ben’s video instructions on YouTube, but getting a number of error messages on my new iMac.

First question - I’d like to install the DaisyExamples source code on Dropbox, as it would enable me to work on either my iMac or MacBook Pro. Are there any issues with that I should be aware of? My Dropbox files are synced locally and available through Finder.

Second question - When installing the MacOS Toolchain, should I put this in the Daisy folder on Dropbox or somewhere else?

Third question - When I execute the install.command, the script returns these errors/warnings:

Warning: /opt/homebrew/bin is not in your PATH.
Instructions on how to configure your shell for Homebrew
can be found in the ‘Next steps’ section below.
==> Installation successful!

I did follow the instructions for next steps, but then this:

find: /usr/local/Caskroom/gcc-arm-embedded: No such file or directory
find: /usr/local/Caskroom/gcc-arm-embedded: No such file or directory
Done

Any thoughts? Should I ignore these or is there a corrective action?

1.) I haven’t tried this, so I can’t say definitively that it works, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t. It would probably be a better idea to not put it on Dropbox.

2.) This one probably won’t work on Dropbox. I’d say go with the normal install.

3.) Can you try running the install.command a second time and seeing what that does?

1 Like

Sorry about the long silence; I was finally able to resolve the issue. Dropbox is not a problem - the main cause was missing toolchain files altogether (not on GitHub repo), which are not automatically present in M1 macOS.

I installed the GNU ARM Embedded Toolchain separately and then it started working again. I suggest you update the Daisy Wiki instructions for each type of macOS, if you haven’t done so already.

1 Like