Find the pins on Daisy Seed

Hi,

I have made a patch on my Daisy Patch.Init (patch sm).
I really like it and I want to build it on a custom hardware (I already made other custom modules, but never using Seed).
I’m having trouble trying to figure out what are the pins on the Seed board that correspond to the inputs of the Patch.Init.
I want to know which pins are for all knobs/cvs.
I tried to check the .json, but it’s mapped to C5, C4, C3, etc… I don’t know what are this pins on the phisical board. I can find D1, D2, D3… But not sure what are this C pins.

Hi jieverson!

The Daisy Seed and the Daisy Patch Submodule (AKA the Patch SM, which powers the Daisy Patch.Init()) have different pin names.

I recommend taking a look at the pinout diagram for each.

And this Patch.Init() design file will show you which of the SM pins are used.

With all these in mind, I recommend looking at the .json file for the Patch.Init() again. And then I recommend referencing json file for boards that are powered by Seed, for example pod.json.
And I made a guide on creating custom json file for the Seed: Quick Guide on Setting Up a Custom JSON File for pd2dsy & Oopsy!

So all in all, you would need to make a separate json file for your new module that is powered by the Seed.

I hope this helps!!

1 Like

Thankyou! that was very helpfull!
I also have a Patch SM with me. Witch of the 2 (Seed vs Patch SM) do you think is more suitable for an eurorack module? Both of them work with eurorack voltage?

One last question, regarding your Guide.
In your guide, you set Knob1 to pin “15”.
But when I look at the pin 15 at “Seed pinout”, it apears as D14 (not ADC).

Choosing between Seed and Patch SM - Patch SM has circuitry to facilitate its use in Eurorack. Seed can also be used, though it needs some external devices to match up with Eurorack signal levels.

Pin names: This is an unfortunately confusing detail about the Daisy system, and its documentation.

I think the best thing is to keep in mind that in the software, the pin name or number is never referring to the actual physical PIN number (1-40 on Seed).

It can all be understood by careful examination of the pinout illustrations and the various files defining the names in libDaisy.

2 Likes

Hi! That was all very helpful… I will be using the Patch SM for my project!

Another question… In case I need more than 2 audio out signals (for example, building an oscillator with 6 different waveforms). Can I use CV out for Audio? Does it have a way to have more than 2 audio signals out?

(I can’t believe I’m suggesting this )

You might want to log on to the Discord server, you might catch a live person with answers to these not-so-simple questions.

I have been wanting to dig deeper on this and make a tutorial in the near future. This post may give you an idea.

“The DAC outputs, on the other hand, can easily be driven into audio rates (and use a similar callback mechanism as the AudioHandle). However, they are 12-bit resolution, and unipolar 0-5V on the Daisy Field.”

Patch SM’s CV out is also unipolar 0-5V and 12-bit.

Of course, you can add more audio codecs to add more audio outputs.
The newer versions of the Daisy Patch board use the PCM3060 audio codec for the additional two stereo pair (as of February 2023).

And feel free to join Discord server if you want to ask a more general questions :slight_smile:

I’ll see you there!

2 Likes