Eurorack-blocks: an open-source project to design your very own Eurorack module

Hey sorry for the slow reponse! I’ve got the changes I needed on a fork (see here) can open a PR if you want?

As for Faust, I just following the instructions for the basic examples - I assume it’s user error, and not looked into debugging it yet. To be honest, while I’ve heard of Faust I don’t know it nor expect I will use it much to start.

I’ve since got my patch.init() in the mail, so the Eurorack-blocks VCV → hardware workflow looks very attractive (though I’ve not had much time), nice work!

Hi @hemmer and thanks for the fantastic work on your fork!

That includes lots of breaking changes. I expected to keep compatibility with Rack 1.6 to ensure a smooth transition, but that doesn’t seem to be possible at first glance. I guess switching suddenly to Rack 2 is OK though.

Sure about the PR, it might be a way to discuss details more easily. I think you also need another PR for the Rack SDK submodule itself, but I could do that.

I’m quite busy right now preparing my presentation for the conference, so don’t wonder if I take time to reply.

Thanks a lot again!

To be honest I think the VCV community has (more or less) moved wholesale to v2 so hopefully it’s not too controversial? As for the SDK, I just dropped in the v2 SDK without modification, so I assume you could just pull in Rack as a submodule (though it takes a while to build, maybe that’s why you hosted the precompiled version?

Hope the presentation goes well!

That’s great to know that mostly everyone moved to v2 so that makes the decision easier to take!

Our hosted precompiled version is just a mirror of their precompiled version, we made a submodule just to simplify a bit the installation process.

Hope the presentation goes well!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

@hemmer Just FYI, I don’t think I’ve seen your PR, so I’ll go forward with this issue since I might have a few days to work on it. I’ll try to cherry-pick your commits from your fork to make sure your contribution is taken into account. Hope you are fine with that and in general :slight_smile:

@hemmer I reviewed your commit and this is very good work already :+1: The only thing I won’t follow is the configParam recommendation that you followed from the migration guide to 2, as we want to remove the most we can control type knowledge from the generators, in order to add new controls more easily. Also as a matter of fact, the order of labels in a Switch doesn’t follow any specific semantic.

Apart from that, I think I just need to figure out how to merge the 3 SDKs for the different platforms, and make sure it works properly on M1 (even though Rack is still running on x86_64, or at least for version 2.0.6 that I have installed here).

Great work and thanks again!

Hi everyone,

So some good news:

• I added an implementation for the simulator to work on VCV Rack 2, thanks to the excellent work @hemmer started to do, that I continued today,

• I added also a fix to make eurorack-blocks development possible on Mac with M1 processors.

To test all this, and if you are familiar with the workflow, you can checkout the m1-support branch which is on top of the rack-2-support branch.

It works™ on my M1 computer with macOS 12, I have no idea yet if it works on Linux and Windows, as I don’t have my VMs at hand to test. At least Linux and Windows both build properly on CI.

You are welcome if you are willing to try, I think for now in the case where you managed to get the rest working before we switched to Rack 2.

For M1 computer, there is a fix to apply manually for it to work. The python SoundFile library we use has a problem on M1, they are aware of it, and working on a patch as we speak. In the meantime, you need to apply this workaround.

Thanks!

@hemmer Does this PR works for you? Would love to merge it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, forget about the manual testing :slight_smile: I figured out I could automated this task for every PR by “validating” the plug-in, by installing Rack on CI and launching it to produce screenshots. If the screenshot is present then it is most probably safe to assume that the plug-in did properly load at least.

A lot has been done in the meantime! We are preparing an ERB starter kit to remove this pain of soldering SMD parts yourself, so you can start right away.

Starter Kit will most likely include 2 front panel modules, the Drop DJ Filter, as well as the Frohmager, the recreation in hardware form factor of the legendary software plug-in from Ohm Force, as shown below.

We are currently beta-testing! If you happen to live in Berlin, please contact me in DM :slight_smile:

If you want to give feedback about our kit documentation, please do so! It’s available here.

There was also a lot of fixes to get the Eurorack-blocks project install correctly on your computer, so if you didn’t have luck in the past with the install procedure, you might want to try again, and of course don’t hesitate to report any issue here.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi ! I’ve just set the faust and c++ ways for windows (it was quite a journey, thank you microsoft) and i think all is ok now but the modules don’t appear in vcvrack for some reason.
However, the folders and files have been created in \Documents\Rack2\plugins but the modules cannot be found…
(Downloading new modules from the library works)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks !

Hi @hvitur and welcome!

but the modules don’t appear

Which modules do you mean? For example the ones in eurorack-block/samples? Or a module of your own? Or just the Faust sample module?

In all cases, you can check the logs of VCV Rack in \Documents\Rack2\log.txt. It should tell you the reason a plug-in didn’t load.

On that, and the way the VCV module SDK is made, there are big mistakes in VCV design. So one very common problem is to declare a new function in C++ and forget to define it, the module will build without the linker complaining, but then the module will not load silently. Checking this log.txt gives you a hint at which symbol couldn’t load when loading the dynamic library.

Please keep us posted on this issue, thanks!

Thanks for your answer !

Well, I found the problem, it was quite silly actually. The documentation mentions “rack2/plugins” but in fact the installation of VCV Rack created a “rack2/plugins-win-x64” directory and when building the modules with Erb, this created the “rack2/plugins” directory, I naively thought that VCV Rack looked in there anyway but no, you have to put the directories of the modules created directly in “rack2/plugins-win-x64” and then everything works normally.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but perhaps it’s worth mentioning somewhere to avoid the problem for some people.

Actually it is more than an inconvenience, and not silly at all, this is a proper bug :slight_smile:

Would you mind opening an issue on this problem please? That would allow me to track it, and if you have more information, typically why there is this plugins-win-x64 thing suddenly (for example did it come with a VCV Rack update?), that would really help me :+1:

On our continuous integration system, we test that VCV Rack modules are properly loading on Windows, so I’m not sure what is different with your configuration.

Thanks!

Hi ! i’ve just did it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice project!!

Curious when the starter-kits will be available and if you are also thinking of selling just the kivu12 board (with components)?

Hey! So the ERB Starter Kit is still in beta-test. We figured out that beta-testing during vacation period was not the best idea :grimacing:

Hopefully we would like the kit to be available before the end of the year, but let’s see how it goes. Anyway, I’ll post in this topic when it becomes live :slight_smile:

Finally, for now just selling the kivu12 board is not planned, but we might consider it if there is already enough demands of the kits.

2 Likes

Thanks! I can imagine that beta-testing in summer doesn’t work that well :wink:
Not living in Berlin, otherwise i might apply as beta-tester.