Daisy Seed Noob Questions

Hi. I am thinking about buying a Daisy for a project I am working on. I tried to read most of the docs and forum posts but I still have a few questions.

• Whats the recommended sample / bit - rate to get the best performance out of the Daisy for something like a looper?

• How high is the latency of the Daisy Seed without any processing. e.g. copying input to output with the lowest usable block size?

• How much memory can I actually allocate and use for a ringbuffer?

• Can i dump the content of a ring-buffer to flash memory for later use?

• Is it possible to access the memory of the Daisy Seed via USB?

Thanks a lot.

1 Like
Whats the recommended sample / bit - rate to get the best performance out of the Daisy for something like a looper?

Just start with default settings 48kHz SR / 48 samples buffer and see if that requires any changing

How high is the latency of the Daisy Seed without any processing. e.g. copying input to output with the lowest usable block size?

There have been done some latency measurements with an oscilloscope.

How much memory can I actually allocate and use for a ringbuffer?

For continuous ring buffer of maximum size you will want to use SDRAM (64Mb)

Can i dump the content of a ring-buffer to flash memory for later use?

There’s 8Mb QSPI flash that could be used to store samples. But it’s smaller than total available SDRAM size as you see. In case of Daisy Patch, you could store data on SD card, so maybe you could add SD card reader to whatever you’re working on and reuse existing code.

Is it possible to access the memory of the Daisy Seed via USB?

There’s no readily available code for this. I don’t even understand what exactly you’re asking for here. Something like a block device with virtual filesystem? This is technically possible, but I don’t think it would be provided by Daisy itself any time soon.

1 Like

Thanks. The link to the latency measurements was very helpful.

I am looking for a way to dump the ringbuffer data to a computer via USB for later use in a DAW for example.

Some more questions … :slight_smile:

• Where (CPU / Flash / SDRAM) is the program code stored and executed and how much memory is available for it?
  • How does memory allocation work? Is it possible to create multiple ringbuffer?

Thanks

At the lowest level you could use a debugger to grab the contents of any or all memory locations from a PC and write that to a file.

I expect the Daisy executes directly from Flash as with cache enabled it’s the same speed as running from SRAM. Best to google for the STM32H750 datasheet pdf for lots more details.

Multiple ringbuffers will be fine. The SDRAM is huge enough even for Ed Sheeran.

1 Like