Connecting 9v directly to Daisy Seed

*New to pedal board building so be patient.

Can the Daisy Seed be powered directly with a 9v Vin or do I have to step it down to 3.3v so I dont fry it? I building a bread board prototype for an effects pedal so do I just run the 9v power directly to the Vin pin?

I read “Dedicated VIN pin for power (input range from 4v to 17v)” so I just want to make sure before I destroying things. Thanks guys and gals!

Welcome to the forum!

No problem powering it directly from a 9V battery. That is what I did with my OscPocketD! See instructions on how to connect the battery OscPocketD - Portable music tool (sequencing drums and synths) - #13 by StaffanMelin.

2 Likes

Im still having issues with getting the seed powered up. I tested the main voltage on the breadboard and it was 9v. I put the 9v wire to the VIN pin and the ground to the DGND pin and the AGND it still wont power on. Im supposed to be seeing the red power light right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a look at my breadboard.
Google Photos

Yes, the red LED should come on.

The wiring looks fine to me. Are you sure you have pressed down the Seed all the way? I remember I had this trouble in the beginning. The legs should be pressed down so far that you can’t see any bit of their metal.

Can you measure 9V on the upper side of the Daisy’s VIN leg?

And just to be sure (and I cannot see it 100% because the perspective of the photo), the 9V goes to the 2nd leg of the Daisy, not the third?

1 Like

I got it working now. Pheww! Im using a voodoo lab pedal power for the 9v power and when I hooked up the terminals to a 9v adapter, I didnt even noticed the read out was in negative volts. Duuuuuhhhh! I had it reversed polarity. Its all good now. Thanks for the reply!

3 Likes

Glad you got it working! Now the fun awaits! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reviving this thread as sadly I have to report that I’ve fried a seed :frowning:

I have a prototype set up on a breadboard that has been working perfectly using usb power. I ultimately want it to run off a battery so removed the usb and connected a 9v battery (+ to vin and - to the ground bus which is connected to AGND and DGND). The power led came on for 3 seconds then the seed smoked and died

Does anyone have any idea why this might have been?

Hardware wise I have 9 x 10k potentiometers wired up and one switch, a channel of audio in and one of audio out.

Any help greatly appreciated as I don’t want to kill another seed. Thanks

Hey! Just had a quick question about hooking up the Daisy with batterie (I’m using 2, 1.5 volt batteries but I think that’s enough right?) After hooking the batteries up to VIN, do I then completely ignore the 3V3 digital pin on the Daisy and 3V3 Analog? Since it seems we still use the daisy’s ground pins I was a bit confused.

Hi! Seed need at least 4V:

The 3.3 pins are output pins.

Super late reply as I just came across this post, but since I just ran into the same thing, figured I’d reply anyway-- in my case, I fried the seed by hooking up the + side of my pots to 9v rather than the 3.3v provided by the seed, which caused the ADCs to see a voltage above their maximum. Of course not positive that is the same thing that happened to you, but I had a similar setup with 9V power supply and a series of pots connected to the ADCs and the failure symptom was similar (LED came on for a few seconds, started smoking and now no longer turns on…). There are ways to protect the ADCs (Protect ADC from overvoltage - #4 by bikerboyroy) which is probably best practice, but it’s just a matter of making sure those ADCs never see a voltage above what the datasheet specifies as the maximum.

Chalking it up to learning the hard way :slight_smile: