Algorithms & Educational Resources

Many waveshaping algorithms written in gen/expr. Probably useful to all.

Digital signal processing using the ARM Cortex-M4 by Donald S. Reay is in some ways spot on for Daisy, since the STM32H750IBK6 on the Daisy Seed is a Cortex-M4 processor. Unfortunately it’s not so spot on in terms of the actual peripheral chips used for audio, they use a Texas Instruments TM4C123 LaunchPad and STM32F407 Discovery Development Kit, augmented with TLV320AIC3104 (AIC3104) Stereo Codec for Audio Input and
Output WM5102 Audio Hub Codec.

That said, I found lots of good info in the book - the schematics are well documented and explain what particular components are doing for the audio interfacing.

The book covers-introduces sampling, filters, and the FFT.

1 Like

It’s not an M4, it’s M7. Much more complex MCU, but it can run binaries compiled for M4.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

You wouldn’t happen to have any resources to help me get to a point in general computer science / maths skills where I’d be ready for this book would you? I downloaded the PDF and started reading it today but got overwhelmed very quickly. It says it’s target audience is basically undergrad (typo fix) senior level computer scientists and I’m not there at all. Huge synth head so I’m good on all that stuff but weak on the math and the coding experience.

Well, on the computer side I recommend
Bebop Bytes Back: An Unconventional Guide to Computers, by Clive Maxfield
on the electronics-hardware side I recommend
Bebop to the Boolean Boogie, by Clive Maxfield
There Are No Electrons: Electronics for Earthlings, by Kenn Amdahl
The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill

1 Like

Not sure if anyone’s mention this, but the Coursera course is also available for free on Standford’s website (in case anyone doesn’t have a Coursera subscription).

2 Likes

Hi people I am looking for band limited PWM on the daisy. Where would I look ?
Do I need to build my own polyblep or something ?

The Little Schemer is an old school way to help with recursive thinking, but without math. It definitely helped me see how computers understand information, which isn’t entirely mathematical, but more about repetitive routines. Also the Zed Shaw books, like Learn Python the Hard Way, are a great way to dive into starting programming.

For more musical results, you could check out DEVELOPING VIRTUAL SYNTHESIZERS WITH VCV RACK by Leonardo Gabrielli (its awesome, and one can learn C++ the fun way)…

I stumbled upon “There are No Electrons” at a thrift store one day and have read it more times than I can count by now, great book!

In reality humans truly understand nothing, and that book gets it

2 Likes

One of the instructors is JO Smith III. He’s a DSP god.

1 Like